The Newsroom

Brexit Dramarama

UPDATE | Extension to 31st Jan 2020 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
The Now Show was planned to be recorded on the Friday morning all along, this time for the News Quiz they've had to send cancellations out to the audience and readvertise it.
RK
Rkolsen

So who controls the cameras as you mentioned Milbank?

'Millbank' refers to a building that the broadcasters use (named after the road it's in called Millbank). The coverage of Parliament is done by a company called Bowtie

Yes - and Bowtie is now owned by NEP.

Yes, I’m familiar with Millbank (all the broadcasters have their base there). Didn’t know PARBUL outsourced it.
IS
Inspector Sands
I presume there is no technical reason why the feed from both houses of Parliament couldn't be in HD if they wanted it to be (or is it already HD and BBC Parliament just doesn't do HD? When Sky News and BBC News dip in and out of Parliament coverage it is sharper than what's going out on BBC Parliament but was never sure whether that was due to upscaling).

I think that might be possible. However I think new galleries for HoC and HoL are being built this summer, so all should be in native HD later this year ?

There was a plan to do it a few years ago I believe but there was a minor issue with something that meant that everything was rolled back to SD.

What that something was I can't remember and the person who told me wasn't sure either. Something to do with the locked off shot of the clock that's used before proceedings and as an emergency go-to for when they have to cut away suddenly
MI
m_in_m
I presume there is no technical reason why the feed from both houses of Parliament couldn't be in HD if they wanted it to be (or is it already HD and BBC Parliament just doesn't do HD? When Sky News and BBC News dip in and out of Parliament coverage it is sharper than what's going out on BBC Parliament but was never sure whether that was due to upscaling).

I think that might be possible. However I think new galleries for HoC and HoL are being built this summer, so all should be in native HD later this year ?

There was a plan to do it a few years ago I believe but there was a minor issue with something that meant that everything was rolled back to SD.

What that something was I can't remember and the person who told me wasn't sure either. Something to do with the locked off shot of the clock that's used before proceedings and as an emergency go-to for when they have to cut away suddenly

How many cameras are there across the estate? I presume there are a considerable number because of the committees etc.
NG
noggin Founding member
'Millbank' refers to a building that the broadcasters use (named after the road it's in called Millbank). The coverage of Parliament is done by a company called Bowtie

Yes - and Bowtie is now owned by NEP.

Yes, I’m familiar with Millbank (all the broadcasters have their base there). Didn’t know PARBUL outsourced it.

It was never in-house. BowTie (or their ancestors) have been contracted to provide Westminster parliamentary TV coverage since it started in 1989.

BowTie have a number of contracts for coverage of UK assemblies and parliaments I believe - including (I believe) the Greater London Authority (GLA) and the National Assembly for Wales.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I doubt, with the future massive refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster imminent whether upgrading any broadcasting infrastructure is likely before that occurs. (or am I deluding myself contemplating such joined up thinking?)
MA
Markymark
I doubt, with the future massive refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster imminent whether upgrading any broadcasting infrastructure is likely before that occurs. (or am I deluding myself contemplating such joined up thinking?)

I don’t think the new galleries and the CAA ( therefore more or less everything other than the camera heads and mics) are going to be in the palace, but elsewhere. It’s 2019 😎
LL
London Lite Founding member
SNL's latest sketch.
GE
thegeek Founding member

I don’t think the new galleries and the CAA ( therefore more or less everything other than the camera heads and mics) are going to be in the palace, but elsewhere. It’s 2019 😎

The galleries are already in a different building - in the basement of one of the ones on Millbank.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I assume there is a good backup facility knowing the reputation of 4 Millbank for having a reliable power supply?

I believe when it was just audio the BBC had a bank of Uhers set up to take over recordings from both houses if the power failed.
DV
dvboy
Uh oh

BM
BM11
dvboy posted:
Uh oh

Provisionally the commons will only be sitting next Monday and tuesday -with Wednesday - Monday being a short Easter recess.

Newer posts