« Topics
Lou Scannon1,227 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West
I find it utterly bizarre that a programme being broadcast in the early evening (1750-1830) is going out under the "NewsNight" branding, which arguably has distinctly "late night" connotations/associations to most viewers.

Assuming that the programme won't be simulcast on the NC (?), I presume it's a case of them utilising the only BBC Two-specific "news bulletin" brand that exists?

I suppose that at least we're now at a time of year when it will be (getting) dusky/dark(ish) at that hour of the day. Would be far odder for the dark NN studio & branding to be on-air during broad daylight hours.

EDIT: Now that I think about it a bit more, I'm guessing that it's also because it will have NN's "in-depth analysis" style/tone/format, rather than a "catch-all news bulletin" tone?
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 19 October 2019 4:45pm
EUropean. Gashead. Whovian. Grammarist. Pedant. Liberal. Ectomorph. Secularist. Vegan.
WW Update4,898 posts since 6 Feb 2007
I find it utterly bizarre that a programme being broadcast in the early evening (1750-1830) is going out under the "NewsNight" branding, which arguably has distinctly "late night" connotations/associations to most viewers.

Assuming that the programme won't be simulcast on the NC (?), I presume it's a case of them utilising the only BBC Two-specific "news bulletin" brand that exists?

I suppose that at least we're now at a time of year when it will be (getting) dusky/dark(ish) at that hour of the day. Would be far odder for the dark NN studio & branding to be on-air during broad daylight hours.

I think you're taking the name too literally. For years, BBC World News has aired a weekly "highlights" edition of NewsNight in a slot that's distinctly not nighttime for most viewers.
msim and Lou Scannon gave kudos
Lou Scannon1,227 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West

I think you're taking the name too literally. For years, BBC World News has aired a weekly "highlights" edition of NewsNight in a slot that's distinctly not nighttime for most viewers.

I wasn't only thinking of purely the name itself (as much of what I said makes clear), but also things like the dark look of the programme and it being firmly associated solely with a late-night broadcast slot (for UK viewers, who aren't privvy to the World News "digest" edition).

Perhaps part of the thinking is precisely so that this evening's programme can form some/all of the next BBC World News edition?
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 19 October 2019 5:16pm - 2 times in total
EUropean. Gashead. Whovian. Grammarist. Pedant. Liberal. Ectomorph. Secularist. Vegan.
Rkolsen2,925 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
Parliamentary Procedure question: Who are the four people that walk up to the table in front of speaker, now their heads, read the votes and then hand the paper off to be passed to the Speaker?
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
itsrobert6,394 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today
Parliamentary Procedure question: Who are the four people that walk up to the table in front of speaker, now their heads, read the votes and then hand the paper off to be passed to the Speaker?

Those are the tellers - the people who count the votes. In order to vote, MPs leave the chamber and enter one of two lobbies depending on how they want to vote. The tellers in each lobby check off each MPs name from a list. Once these are added up, the tellers enter the chamber and announce the result as you described.
Rkolsen gave kudos
Brekkie32,574 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today

Evening is night last time I looked. Historically Newsnight has aired quite often early on Saturday evenings - and tonight with live sport from 6.30 they've put it in the latest available slot.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
No further posts are being accepted for this topic