The Newsroom

Brexit Dramarama

UPDATE | Extension to 31st Jan 2020 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
dvboy posted:
Boris Johnson had a Aston on bbc news I thought prime ministers don’t get that?

It's changed (as has been mentioned here in the past) although it's been the case on BBC World for much longer so we'd seen them on simulcasts anyway.

BBC South Today captioned him a couple of weeks ago. Not even salutated with Rt Hon, just plain old 'Boris Johnson'. Not long and it'll probably be truncated to just Boris
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I haven't seen the Rt Hon prefix on astons for a long time. In fact I think the only time I've recently known it used outside of the House of Commons was when Anne Widdicombe was on Strictly, which I suspect was at her insistance.

The MP suffix is much more common on astons.
GE
thegeek Founding member
As I'm sure someone will be along to ask in a minute, the likelihood of a general election this year is quite small, if only for practical reasons.
BR
Brekkie
I don't think any of them deserve to be called Right Honorable at the moment. Indeed I've always questioned that term long before Brexit considering how many behave in that insititution.

Having caught a little bit of live proceedings earlier though I wonder if TV news is failing us by using soundbites from the usual suspects when covering these debates when actually it's the unknown MPs who actually stay behind for the debate who often offer the most reasoned arguments.
AN
Andrew Founding member
As I'm sure someone will be along to ask in a minute, the likelihood of a general election this year is quite small, if only for practical reasons.

Well indeed, they won't have it too close to Christmas, I know technically they could hold an election on December 19th but they won't.

Protests very clearly heard again on the Ten tonight. Someone needs to go down there during the One or Six, protest with the loudest worst language possible (I can think of at least two members of this forum who might volunteer), and then complain to Ofcom. Then sense may prevail and they might start presenting from a half decent location.
BR
Brekkie
Oh god, we're going to have Christmas ruined by hung parliament negotiations aren't we.

Guess this will be the first ever election introduced by a Christmas ident though. They'll have to ditch the touchscreen for a Christmas tree I guess at Elstree.
Last edited by Brekkie on 22 October 2019 10:44pm - 2 times in total
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

Well indeed, they won't have it too close to Christmas, I know technically they could hold an election on December 19th but they won't.

It has happened before though, but it was a different way of doing things prior to 1918, indeed this document suggests voting ran over the Christmas period in 1832:
http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04512/SN04512.pdf

In modern times though under the "all on one day voting" system the latest date in the year has been Dec 14th but that was back in 1918 (when the system was introduced and it was on a Saturday).

In case anybody was wondering since December has been mentioned:
http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/RP13-27/RP13-27.pdf posted:
Saturday, Sunday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Good Friday, other bank holidays and any day appointed for public thanksgiving or mourning are disregarded. Maundy Thursday is no longer disregarded [since] 2006. A bank holiday which is in force only in one part of the UK is still a disregarded day for the purposes of a general election timetable. So St Patrick’s Day (17 March) would affect a general election timetable if the polling day was less than 25 days after that date
TI
TIGHazard
Newsnight loses the plot ....

Surprised Surprised

This is because of what the Conservatives have been doing.

And I'm fully aware of what this is and yet I'm still engaging in it

(Basically the tactic is to get as many shares and retweets as possible by people who hate Comic Sans, therefore amplifying the message across the internet and to people who won't normally see it. Australian Conservative party used it in a recently election to great success apparently)
:-(
A former member
There’s another one with Impact font in yellow and pink. In all honestly I think it’s a brilliant tactic.
BM
BM11
Andrea Leadsom has tipped a January 10th election which would be even more chaotic for a broadcasting perspective.
MA
Markymark
I haven't seen the Rt Hon prefix on astons for a long time. In fact I think the only time I've recently known it used outside of the House of Commons was when Anne Widdicombe was on Strictly, which I suspect was at her insistance.

The MP suffix is much more common on astons.

I thought front bench politicians did still get the Rt Hon prefix, I must pay more attention!
JW
JamesWorldNews
[quote="Markymark" pid="1191969"]
I
I thought front bench politicians did still get the Rt Hon prefix, I must pay more attention!

It’s difficult to keep up with this saga, Mark. And to make matters worse, I see the “F” Word is rearing it’s head again today..........

Flextension.

Newer posts