The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SL
Shaun Linden
Was 2012 a national address as some sites, and I'm sure the discussion on BBC News earlier didn't mention 2012.
RD
RDJ
Indeed out of all of them, I believe it’s only the speech in 1997 that was broadcast live.

All the rest were pre-recorded, including the message on Sunday.

This was the speech in 1997:

This was the speech in 2002:

And this was the speech in 2012, which for some reason I don’t remember at all:
BA
bilky asko
Exactly. Been some arguments about if Easter Eggs are essential but that one bit of normality and a brief treat is probably more important than ever.

Not only that, if they're not sold because they're deemed not essential that's quite a lot of food waste when they expire.
WO
Worzel
Quite a few errors on the News channel ticker which have been rotating round now for a few hours:

'New Nightingale in Hospital opens...'

And 'Debenhams warns could...'
OA
Owen A
Yes and at the press conference last night there was an incorrect number on for a while.
WO
Worzel
Yes and at the press conference last night there was an incorrect number on for a while.

They've also been using a rather strange clip in the headlines about coronavirus in New York where doctors/nurses treating someone appear to have their hands blurred from what looks like swearing/gesturing at the camera.
GE
thegeek Founding member
RDJ posted:
And this was the speech in 2012, which for some reason I don’t remember at all:

Despite being prerecorded, I think it was unbilled, and was only announced to the public on the day.
MO
Moz
I fear I have to agree with you. As horrible as this sounds I can’t imagine anyone celebrating Easter this year.

Do people still celebrate Easter anyway? It’s just a long bank holiday weekend.
HA
harshy Founding member
There’s a purple filter now in Studio E for Newsnight again very clever creative use here.
AN
Andrew Founding member
There’s a purple filter now in Studio E for Newsnight again very clever creative use here.

Yes it looks much better now

They obviously were aware that the permanent red elements didn’t sit well with the purple
harshy and Juicy Joe gave kudos
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
Is that computer generated or is the background glass being lit with strong purple lighting, or a physical translucent plastic in use? If so, will we see an orange filter for the Andrew Marr show? It does help with the branding of Newsnight getting rid of the red. I suppose if they ever change the branding of BBC News which is unlikely, they could use this method to introduce the colour scheme until they get round to repainting the newsroom.
BJ
BerkshireJames
I’m assuming it’s a curtain

Newer posts