TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
roo
Yes, the templates definitely aren't pushing text into caps.
RK
Rkolsen
I don’t care for them so far.
BK
bkman1990
They look good to me so far. I'll be waiting to see what they look like when the launch is live.
PF
PFML84
With the logo positioned where it is, it just doesn't seem to sit well colour wise with the other graphics.
BA
Bail Moderator
Are you sure that wasn't just Amazon's insertion of stock sounds, or do they actually play the BBC News theme when you check the news updates?

They’ve changed it where it now plays the theme for a few seconds before and after the bulletin

Oooh, is that part of the new theme?

Yup, nice use of the strings and a tigher bassline. Actual titles remain the same but some nice accompanying bits to follow.
FA
fanoftv
I expected something minimal and fresh similar to the graphics on the Nine, the black bar reminds me of the ITV News car park era, I’m not a fan from the brief clips that we’ve seen. Why does the logo sit above the ticker/flipper in that position, surely it’s wasting more space.
TM
TMD_24
I dunno but it looks a bit cheap and rushed despite the fact it has taken a long time for this to be rolled out.
JF
JetixFann450
I really feel as if the way the logo is left to stand out than the rest of the graphics sort of annoys me. Maybe remove the logo background and make it stand out without it? I don't know.
DA
davidhorman
The latest BBC World News one-minute update also features Reith and a new strap.

The Arabic strap and channel logos visible under the black bar make me think it should be more opaque or it should apply a blur effect to whatever's underneath it (although that might look a bit Windows 7).
BR
Brekkie
Does look like the Nine style strap may have been the starting point, but then they worried about text fitting in a square so change to a horizontal logo, and then worried about white text being seen so added the translucent background.

It's not great but neither are the current white straps.
VM
VMPhil
You wouldn't have been able to fit all the region and nation bulletin names into a box though.
EY
the eye
The latest BBC World News one-minute update also features Reith and a new strap.

How do I view that I? Has a cross thru the play button

Newer posts