« Topics
Steve Williams2,803 posts since 1 Aug 2008
BBC News: BBC One bulletins, News Channel, World News, Regional news, website
BBC Sport: Football, rugby, tennis, snooker, golf, athletics, Olympics, website

This is a meaningless comparison. "Regional news" involves a dozen different regional centres, each with different kit and some far more advanced than others. That in itself is slightly more complicated than a football programme made by BBC Sport in Salford using the same graphics as a rugby programme made by BBC Sport in Salford.

If you're counting individual sports in the Sport total, you should count each individual news programme in the News total.
bkman1990, Revolution and 4 others
  • Night Thoughts
  • bilky asko
  • KELGE
  • Jamesypoo
gave kudos
Jamesypoo1,449 posts since 3 Apr 2005
Anglia (East) Look East
BBC News: BBC One bulletins, News Channel, World News, Regional news, website
BBC Sport: Football, rugby, tennis, snooker, golf, athletics, Olympics, website

This is a meaningless comparison. "Regional news" involves a dozen different regional centres, each with different kit and some far more advanced than others. That in itself is slightly more complicated than a football programme made by BBC Sport in Salford using the same graphics as a rugby programme made by BBC Sport in Salford.

If you're counting individual sports in the Sport total, you should count each individual news programme in the News total.

Exactly my point. Thank you.

Even then you could break things down further:

BBC One bulletins - template graphics (standard lower thirds etc), specifically made story-related bumpers/explainers
News Channel/World - branded strands (dozens on World alone)
Regional news - template graphics (standard lower thirds etc), specifically made story-related bumpers/explainers x 20
Website - 45 different languages (including English)

I could go on but I think/hope you get the idea. Think about it logically and be patient. It's a font.
Norwich Designer
bkman1990, Night Thoughts and 5 others
  • bilky asko
  • KELGE
  • ittrgrey
  • Steve Williams
  • roo
gave kudos
mdtauk6,319 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
BBC Sport was also handled by an outside agency, where as BBC News is being done internally. And BBC Sport can do testing much more freely than the News department which is broadcasting Live 24/7
Mike W4,918 posts since 30 Apr 2006
London London

Interesting....

I can only assume that the whole look will need changing if they're going to go for these graphics. The black astons don't suit when the titles and the look are all white.

The way it pops up is quite nice. But the Midlands Today logo is horrific. Reith just does not look good like that for a main logo at all.

https://tvforum.uk/thenewsroom/new-new-central-west-bbc-midlands-38909/page-103
Oh it's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it with you...
Moz5,469 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Wales Today

Interesting....

I can only assume that the whole look will need changing if they're going to go for these graphics. The black astons don't suit when the titles and the look are all white.

The way it pops up is quite nice. But the Midlands Today logo is horrific. Reith just does not look good like that for a main logo at all.

https://tvforum.uk/thenewsroom/new-new-central-west-bbc-midlands-38909/page-103

OK, so it's not perfect - the red box round Midlands Today is weird - but I'll reserve full judgement until I see it in use on the News Channel.

Until then though, I quite like the transparent black compared to the white. It's less intrusive. And I like the way it animates. Also love that they're using Reith Serif.

Funny how it was just one region, and just for the evening bulletin - they went back to the old look for the late news by the looks of things. Just a trial perhaps?
Last edited by Moz on 13 May 2019 1:55pm
#skillsforlife
Jory gave kudos
No further posts are being accepted for this topic