« Topics
DTV1,182 posts since 27 Feb 2012
Meridian (South) South Today
As typefaces go, it's proto-fascist, misandric, and incredibly chocolately.

What?

Can somebody please explain to me how Reith Sans espouses an ultra-nationalist totalitarian ideology? Even if one was to rank typefaces in their order of fascisticness - this definitely would not be anywhere near the top. I know that some fonts have ideological connotations (Arial always makes me think of neoliberalism - corporate, bland and a cheap knockoff of an earlier idea with none of the finesse of the original). However, none of my first 7000 thoughts after seeing Reith Sans were 'this font makes me want to submit to the greater good of the nation-state'. Additionally it failed to occur to me how this design of letters conveyed a 'misandric' (FFS) attitude - something, by the way, incompatible with your first description of the typeface. My god, I know it's the full-moon time of the month, but lunacy and stupidity seem to be out in force.
mdtauk6,289 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
Where do we think the new font will appear next? Weather?

New Weather graphics are due, it would seem silly if it did not use the font.

News and Parliament could be big asks, if they intend on changing more than just the typeface. It may accompany a brand refresh for News - it would be due - but I don't expect anything too radical. But changing all the templates, lower thirds, etc and getting them out to the regions, is a big task.

I would think the channel brands would happen last, if they move to BBC Reith at all. - Radio and Cross promotional graphics would be ideal candidates after Weather. Along with iPlayer.
Alan de Robson135 posts since 8 Aug 2012
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
It's as bad as the awful Sky typeface used virtually everywhere since 2010.

Is this what Auntie really intended from this exercise?

What about proto-communist? In that case they could call it BBC Stalin.

Well, Phil, it could be both.

They could have BBC Stalin for the headline typeface and this new one, BBC Mussolini, for the body copy.

Who knows what the granola-muching diversity-obsessed man-hating Broadcasting House lesbian feminist mafia will come up with next?

They are getting out of control. They already control an area of the internet the size of Ireland.
OFCOM's queen bitch
cityprod1,949 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight
It's as bad as the awful Sky typeface used virtually everywhere since 2010.

Is this what Auntie really intended from this exercise?

What about proto-communist? In that case they could call it BBC Stalin.

Well, Phil, it could be both.

They could have BBC Stalin for the headline typeface and this new one, BBC Mussolini, for the body copy.

Who knows what the granola-muching diversity-obsessed man-hating Broadcasting House lesbian feminist mafia will come up with next?

They are getting out of control. They already control an area of the internet the size of Ireland.

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic, otherwise, Digital Spy is over there...
Jonny3,963 posts since 27 Nov 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

I like that arrangement of BBC Sport and BBC One logos (although a BBC should be added to the "one" if used on its own)

I'm not convinced the BBC3/CBBC style narrower boxes work well on TV at all, at least not at such small sizes.

Perfect for social media, etc., I get that, but a good design for the primary platform? First Sport trailer in and already a glaring limitation is demonstrated. The BBC blocks are there in the BBC Sport logo, albeit at such a small size they are illegible on SD broadcasts, but aren't in the channel logo. (If they're missing from one, why not remove them from both and place them independently, at a more readable size?)

I don't see how this solves anything; hopefully it's just an awkward shoehorned transition phase before a much bigger rethink.
Last edited by Jonny on 8 August 2017 7:24am
youtube
denton gave kudos
No further posts are being accepted for this topic