TV Home Forum

Jeremy Kyle Axed

Latest: ITV axe show - page 20 onwards (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
I understand the parallels but there's a considerable difference between the situations with Jeremy Kyle and Love Island.

The Love Island contestants died around two years after the show aired, and while it can still be argued that they did not receive sufficient aftercare after leaving the show, it is far more damning to have a guest kill themselves just a week after taking part.
AA
Amber Avenger
JCB posted:
There's a lot of whataboutism going on with Love Island. The show obviously needs to be more careful with casting and aftercare but, regardless of what people might think about it, Love Island is not the "theatre of cruelty" Jeremy Kyle is/was.

Absolutely this. To be blunt about the issue, if either of the contestants on Love Island had died the week after coming out of the show - as has happened here - I suspect there would be no more Love Island.

I also suspect that with Jeremy Kyle, ITV know that there is more negativity to come. With stories already emerging this week about people who have previously worked on the show, I suspect the floodgates are now open on the reality of it's practices and it's better to can it now, rather than face mounting pressure.
VM
VMPhil
JCB posted:
BM11 posted:
ITV will be hoping to save Love Island - a scandal on this year's series could end the show if it looks like risking someone's mental health.

There's a lot of whataboutism going on with Love Island. The show obviously needs to be more careful with casting and aftercare but, regardless of what people might think about it, Love Island is not the "theatre of cruelty" Jeremy Kyle is/was.

You should have kept the rest of this post in. I was interested in seeing if you would provoke fans of a certain show…
AA
Aaron_2015
Not surprised at all by the announcement, although I didn’t think it would be quite so soon. This Morning shoehorned the statement in at the start of the show, presumably to avoid being criticised for not covering it.

Big mistake by ITV.

Not sure how you’ve reached that conclusion, if I’m honest.

I don’t think the situation is comparable to Love Island at all. The two former contestants who sadly took their own lives did so a significant amount of time after appearing on the show. In both instances, Love Island was not the sole cause or an immediate contributor. Both contestants were already well known on Instagram before appearing on the show, and other issues (eg. financial and relationship based) player a major part. The Jeremy Kyle Show, on the other hand, has directly led to, or significantly contributed to, the death of a participant just a week after appearing on the show.

There’s no hypocrisy at hand here, the situations are just not comparable.
DM
DeMarkay
From my understanding of watching the show when it first aired in 2005 (believe it or not, I was five years old) up until now, Jeremy has no control over the lie detector tests.

He just reads the results out. Compare his appearances on his own to show to that of his appearances on Good Morning Britain.

People bashing him is just not okay, the people who appear on the show aren’t forced. Even Christopher Maloney, former The X Factor contestant, has appeared on the show with his mum and has said that the whole team had treated them well.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, it seems there was a direct correlation between a major feature on the programme and his treatment on it and the events afterwards.

The BBC have an interview with an audience member ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-48276792/jeremy-kyle-show-audience-member-recalls-steven-dymond-episode ) who which suggests he was pinning his hopes on the lie detector and was devastated when the result came back. When you've got a feature on the programme that is based on bunkum science and someone's built up their hopes on it which might have led to a death... then there is a connection
W1LL, Brekkie and Rexogamer gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Even Christopher Maloney, former The X Factor contestant, has appeared on the show with his mum and has said that the whole team had treated them well.

Because I'm sure they'd never treat celebrities differently to get them to sing the show's praises to the press…
DV
DVB Cornwall
A sensible decision framed in suitable language, unlike some previous official comments on the tragedy.
Brekkie and Rexogamer gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
From my understanding of watching the show when it first aired in 2005 (believe it or not, I was five years old) up until now, Jeremy has no control over the lie detector tests. He just reads the results out.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he does them or the DNA or anything else, he's the host.

Quote:
People bashing him is just not okay, the people who appear on the show aren’t forced. Even Christopher Maloney, former The X Factor contestant, has appeared on the show with his mum and has said that the whole team had treated them well.

I don't see any 'bashing' of the man himself, although that's not to say there shouldn't be. It is his show and he has developed a certain persona and an attitude

They're sometimes forced by their loved ones, and as I mentioned a few pages back there have been cases where a participants have changed their mind in the taxi to Salford and then been forced to agree to appear otherwise they'd have to pay for the long taxi ride and the hotel. There's been some dodgy practises going on.
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 15 May 2019 12:34pm - 3 times in total
CraigWills, Rexogamer and DeMarkay gave kudos
SQ
sqwidge1978
Josh posted:
From BBC News: ITV's former executive chairman Michael Grade told the BBC: "They're going to lose a very popular show, probably, it would be very difficult to bring it back now, unless there were some reasons we don't know that means they're completely exonerated.”

Given the growing pressure on ITV (including from some MPs), I don’t see how the show can really return. It would be terrible for ITV’s image, and advertisers might not even want to be associated with the show should it return. If the show is axed, I can’t see Kyle’s documentary strand returning or him presenting on GMB in the near future.

Dickinson’s Real Deal is a strange program to use as a replacement, so I’m not surprised it rated poorly. The target audiences are totally different, and it’s already on at 3pm. You’d have thought they’d have a better solution in place by next week.

What about Tenable? Between 9:25-10:30?

How about extending Lorraine?

Pleas no would rater watch the break down slide.
PFML84 and Rexogamer gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
Had to happen really. The backlash has been so overwhelming.
DO
dosxuk
I keep thinking Kyle's time dealing with the public is also going to have to come to a close. Reckon he would be good in a consumer show, like watchdog / rogue traders, targeting his attitude at businesses and standing up for consumers instead though.

Newer posts