TV Home Forum

Channel 4

General Discussion (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member

Though other than the Sky+HD implementation the picture quality of iPlayer isn't great (720/25p at best these days and a pretty low bitrate) Certainly not a patch on Freeview HD, Freesat HD or Sky HD. They are more convenient - but I couldn't watch them unless there was a compelling reason to. (Though the Sky+HD version is as good if not better than broadcast off-air quality - and incredibly useful)

Yes, I noticed that. I don't have Sky+HD, but my brother-in-law does, and I was astounded at the quality, as you say, it could well be better than off air. It's very data hungry though (of course !)

AIUI for the Sky CDN delivered content (which I believe includes the BBC iPlayer stuff) I've heard rumblings of 8Mbs H264 for 1080/50i and something like 2Mbs H264 for 576/50i (note that they don't use MPEG2 for SD) The killer for me is that interlaced content is delivered interlaced, not de-interlaced at half the temporal resolution. (Some Red Button iPlayer implementations also have access to 1080i and 576i streams - but at significantly lower data rates)

Sky's system is definitely better suited for fast broadband connections - but equally the download rather than streaming also means you avoid buffering (stuff just takes longer to become "available" - which in Sky terms means enough has been downloaded for the entire programme to have downloaded by the time you reach the end assuming the download rate continues to be the same. For SD stuff on a fast broadband connection this takes very little time, and for HD often only a minute or two)

What's neat is the integration between VoD and Catch Up - you can download iPlayer programmes or a Sky Movies film, or a Sky Atlantic box set from the same user interface and all at a quality I've not seen any other streaming provider match. (I haven't seen Netflix 4K but by all accounts it isn't as stunning as you'd hope)

30 days later

:-(
A former member
New break bumpers, channel of the year tag on top.of the 3d triangle,

Anyone else seen it along with the strange duck advert.

14 days later

VM
VMPhil
Utopia has been cancelled after two series despite wide critical acclaim, in order to make way for new drama series.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/utopia-series-3-cancelled-channel-4-pulls-the-plug-to-make-way-for-new-dramas-9785228.html
BR
Brekkie
Absolutely the right decision - ratings were appalling for the first series, even worse for the second. They were very lucky to get recommissioned in the first place and if critical acclaim isn't bringing in the audience it's time to give other dramas the opportunity too.
VM
VMPhil
Special endboard for the trailer for Grayson Perry: Who are you? - handwritten text.
MD
Mr D'Arcy
Deal or No Deal seems to be in a bit of pickle this afternoon. Crashed into a break, crashed out it and then looped the same part at least three times now.
Last edited by Mr D'Arcy on 19 October 2014 2:19pm
CR
Critique
It ended ten minutes later than scheduled so they've skipped the break and gone straight into the next programme - Come Dine with Me was still billed as being in half an hour so presumably they're going to be run ten minutes behind unless they skip some breaks.
DA
davidhorman
And now the sound on The Simpsons is garbled (on Freeview HD, at least - SD sounds okay).
DB
dbl
The Simpsons is playing normally on SD, but the sound is stuttering on HD. Not the best day...
JO
Johnnie
Channel 4 Press tweeted: "There will be a slight delay to the transmission of @Channel4News this evening, now starting at 7.05pm"
:-(
A former member
This reminds me of this clip:

GE
thegeek Founding member
No break between Hollyoaks and the news, which started at 1904. And what's more, tomorrow's has been bumped to More4 to make way for Stand Up to Cancer.

Newer posts