TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member

Strangely, one of the better Oneness idents, Cheerleaders, which is one of the few that does actually feature a bit of music and activity, seemed to get shelved in February - making only its second appearance since then when it randomly turned up on Saturday morning.

I was not aware of this. Which other Oneness idents have now been axed - apart from the obvious ones, Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class? The Wheelchair Rugby team ident where they crash into each other, I have not seen in a while either.

Yorkshire use the wheelchair rugby team into the news most days. I don’t know if it’s used regularly on network, although don’t they match the regional ident to the network ident in case you see a glimpse of the other?

But there's 3 versions of Wheelchair Rugby, I've only seen the variation recently where they sensibly roll into shot and smile at the camera. The ones where they crash into each other and the 3rd one, I have not spotted for a long time.

Agree, I still catch Sea Swimmers in the Midlands before Sunday Politics??? Shocked
Last edited by Juicy Joe on 14 November 2019 6:01pm
AS
Asa Admin
South East love the Wheelchair team too, or Cyclists on a Sunday.

It certainly makes a difference to see some camera movement and dominant colour. Only 15secs long though - the ident stopped when fading into EastEnders tonight.

BBC One could still be so much better but if they're determined to keep this people theme going then binning the existing ones in favour of ones like this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. At least we lose them for December*

* I may come to regret this
GM
Gary McEwan
What on earth is going on with BBC One Scotland and Network?

We've just had the promo for the New War of the Worlds drama back to back. The Scotland promo, then it cut off the end of it and then we got the Network promo.

We then had a Network election promo which got cut off for the Scotland continuity into Question Time...
SC
Si-Co
Do any of the regions/nations still use the Exercise Class idents? I can’t recall when I last saw them on Network. Bland as they are, they would fit a certain genre of programming.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Wiki suggests Exercise Class was "Removed after a few months due to initial poor reception" and was last seen in April 2017. Sea swimmers (the other ident introduced at the time) was also removed for the same reason but lasted until July 2017 (but comment above suggests it may linger on somewhere, maybe the class too).
ID
Identfanatic
Hi all I'm new to the site and forum and have been following this for a couple of years and look forward to reading the discussions.

I have to say though it's gone awfully quiet on the BBC one christmas ident front discussions. The BBC must keep it under wraps seeming it's only 2 weeks till December
BR
Brekkie
Welcome to the forum. Has been quiet but I think there was a hint at what to expect (i.e. not something awful) in this thread a few weeks back.

I still think they'll hold it back myself until after the election, and that wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.
ID
Identfanatic
Hi brekkie thankyou 🙂

I read back through and saw a link where someone had been picked to appear on the Christmas ident which made me think they are following on in the line of first father & daughter, then mother and son it made me think is it going to be grandparents and grandchildren

Fingers crossed its not awful but with Gavin and Stacey and Miranda on over Christmas you know they will have dedicated ones.
AR
Argybargy
Welcome to the forum. Has been quiet but I think there was a hint at what to expect (i.e. not something awful) in this thread a few weeks back.

I still think they'll hold it back myself until after the election , and that wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

I know what you mean, but I really don't think the upcoming election will stop BBC One and Two launching their Christmas idents at the usual time, my money's still on December 1st. Their Christmas promotion seems to be on a much bigger scale in recent years and they'll want to get their "money's worth" out of it, even with an election taking place less than 2 weeks before Christmas Day.
Last edited by Argybargy on 16 November 2019 10:24pm
JK
JKDerry

I still think they'll hold it back myself until after the election , and that wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

I know what you mean, but I really don't think the upcoming election will stop BBC One and Two launching their Christmas idents at the usual time, my money's still on December 1st. Their Christmas promotion seems to be on a much bigger scale in recent years and they'll want to get their "money's worth" out of it, even with an election taking place less than 2 weeks before Christmas Day.

BBC One have been planning their Christmas 2019 presentation and schedules since August 2019, there is no way that they are going to delay the biggest television season of the year for the election, so we can be assured that 1st December 2019 will be most likely the start of the Christmas idents on BBC One.

BBC Two will simply reuse their Christmas presentation from last year.
SP
Steve in Pudsey

{Citation Needed}
JK
JKDerry

{Citation Needed}

Oh, bold, wanting quotes - BBC Two have a limited budget, and their new idents launched in 2018 with their Christmas versions continue into 2019. It is called logic, and going by previous BBC Two history of Christmas idents - 2007 Christmas idents reused in 2008, 2009, 2010. Christmas 2011 idents reused in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 in additions to different Christmas music over them etc and a mix of their older BBC 2 idents.

Newer posts