TV Home Forum

ITV Idents (Post Christmas)

(January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KU
Kunst
ITV1 was also something in order to copy the BBC: except BBC has two main terrestrial channels, what ITV hasn't.. so "ITV1" always sounded a bit forced
AN
Andrew Founding member
ttt posted:
It's still way less confusing than calling it ITV and calling the company ITV, as people can get confused.

What?!!

That is, in every sense of the word, nonsensical. Does adding a ‘1’ change the perception of the brand? It didn’t, and it certainly had a sense of feeling tacked on, even if there were good intentions with making ITV more than just the main channel.

There were no 'good intentions' with the ITV1 brand. It was there purely to force the regional aspect out, as people referred to ITV and their local contractor name interchangeably. ITV1 put the network in peoples minds first; they changed it back when the job was done.

That's a new conspiracy theory that I've never heard before.
DB
dbl
I feel sorry for the people in the 90s who had to deal with ITV, ITV and ITV I dont know how there told the difference

Nowadays, we have to deal with ITV (the channel) and ITV (the company). Simply adding the 1 back would stop that confusion.
Then, ITV (the company) and ITV1 (the channel). Sounds less confusing, doesn't it?

If you struggle with that, just don't travel back to 1995 where you had 'LWT, Anglia, Meridian, HTV Wales, Granada, Border, Carlton, Central, Westcountry, HTV West, Yorkshire, Tyne Tees, Channel, UTV, STV, Grampian' as 'ITV'. People still knew it was ITV and knew where to tune in and it wasn't rocket science.

It's always been called ITV.

Last edited by dbl on 25 October 2017 7:36pm - 3 times in total
Spencer, Lou Scannon and Si-Co gave kudos
TT
ttt
ttt posted:

There were no 'good intentions' with the ITV1 brand. It was there purely to force the regional aspect out,

No, the main reason was to promote the fact that there was more than one ITV channel, it was at that time when the ITV name was suddenly multiplying channels and services. There was ITV2 and ITV Sport and ITV Digital and ITV Select etc etc

They'd already been dual branding 'ITV' and the regional names for a while

That was the stated aim.

In reality if you leave the station name as a generic "ITV", people continue to think of the ITV network of regional stations.

By changing to ITV1 it becomes a channel in its own right, one of a block of stations as you say. This de-emphasises the local branding to a tertiary standing and makes it much easier to do away with from a branding perspective. Where previously you have an "ITV Yorkshire" that can be identified with, "ITV1 (Yorkshire)" pushes the regional name out of the frame.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's simple common sense, and I don't believe for one moment that ITV did not think that through... and the fact that it was changed back years later is no coincidence.
IT
Ittr
I still call it ITV1 today.
RD
RDJ
I am now swaying to the point that I'm finding the logo when it uses multiple colours very bulky and ugly.

I feel the logo works best as one solid colour or in multiple shades of the same colour. I feel a rebrand should be on the cards now we're approaching the 5 year mark and the other channels have a fresher look than the main flagship channel does (ITV3 aside).

And in terms of calling it ITV1 again, there's no point. Yes some people say it accidentally now and again but listening to Joe Public, I've heard the channel called multiple things in recent years including ITV, Channel 3 and Central as my mum still calls it, though it hasn't been called that in over 18 years. Old habits die hard.
IS
Inspector Sands
ttt posted:

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's simple common sense, and I don't believe for one moment that ITV did not think that through... and the fact that it was changed back years later is no coincidence.

So the fact it changed back later isn't a coincidence but the fact it changed when ITV was going through massive brand extension isn't?

I think you're over thinking it somewhat. Marketing and management come and go over the years and have different ideas. That's all that happened
LL
Larry the Loafer

So why rebrand the channel again if you're able to call it what you want?
JF
JetixFann450

The reason ITV1 was made was because they wanted to get rid of the regional names and align it with the ITV channel network. Think about it, if someone lived in the Yorkshire region, and they were to move to the Carlton region, they'd get confused because it's different to THEIR ITV1.

So just calling it ITV in the idents makes it simple for people to know, as it stands out rather than a really small ITV1 logo.

Also, how many times do we need to explain this? You've already gotten the POINT.
IS
Inspector Sands

Also, how many times do we need to explain this? You've already gotten the POINT.

Ooooh handbags!

For all the reasons explained above, the change from ITV to ITV1 wasn't anything to do with the regions, they were already dual branded and the names were on the way out.
AN
Andrew Founding member

The reason ITV1 was made was because they wanted to get rid of the regional names and align it with the ITV channel network. Think about it, if someone lived in the Yorkshire region, and they were to move to the Carlton region, they'd get confused because it's different to THEIR ITV1.

So just calling it ITV in the idents makes it simple for people to know, as it stands out rather than a really small ITV1 logo.

Except that wasn't the timeline at all.

ttt posted:

So the fact it changed back later isn't a coincidence but the fact it changed when ITV was going through massive brand extension isn't?

I think you're over thinking it somewhat. Marketing and management come and go over the years and have different ideas. That's all that happened

Exactly, I don't think any of the senior bosses were the same when the channel changed to ITV1 and then changed back again. We'd also been through many other rebrands in between.
Nicky and Lou Scannon gave kudos
SP
Spencer

I doubt anyone was confused that they couldn’t pick up Yorkshire Television in London.

Newer posts