TV Home Forum

ITV Idents (Post Christmas)

(January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
I feel sorry for the people in the 90s who had to deal with ITV, ITV and ITV I dont know how there told the difference
JK
JKDerry
Presumably it's budget cuts to the presentation departments over the years that prevents new Christmas pres. During the 90's BBC 1 & 2 received a new package each year, ITV created a different package each year for the network that was seen on trailers and adopted by some regions. Up until the square logo Channel 4 did something different each year too.

At least Channel 4 now do something, within the previous branding we just received the snowman & snowdog ident (and that was towards the end of the package's life) even though their were many possibilities.

Channel 5 was a let down last year, possibly the first year where they've never used Christmas pres.

As for ITV, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I'd love to see something new for the main channel, or even some new festive additions and maybe something festive with the logo, or something totally unique and away from the day to day idents. I'd love to see something for ITV2 too.

Could the lack of Christmas pres or day to day pres/exciting pres be:
A) Down to the costs required to make decent idents these days
B) because presentation budgets include trailers that are much more ambitious these days rather than clipping down an episode and adding a caption.

The lack of Christmas presentation is likely down to the fact that there are some at ITV who feel they can't compete with BBC One in classic Christmas idents. BBC One (exception of 2003) have always provided a new Christmas ident each year. BBC One seems to be the only channel which has the festive feeling. ITV feel they can't compete, so why waste the money and effort?
A former member
The lack of Xmas pres has been floating around certain ITV companies since the 90s. STV had no idents for xmas during its third thistle period, but there did return. What were YTV and TT During Channel 3 era? Granada last affair with them in 99 was colourful.
TT
ttt
dbl posted:
No. I've seen the research, and it doesn't swing with your opinion. And adding a '1' back in doesn't bring back personality, thats part of the problem. ITV2 had a stronger brand than ITV1.

It's still way less confusing than calling it ITV and calling the company ITV, as people can get confused.

What?!!

That is, in every sense of the word, nonsensical. Does adding a ‘1’ change the perception of the brand? It didn’t, and it certainly had a sense of feeling tacked on, even if there were good intentions with making ITV more than just the main channel.

There were no 'good intentions' with the ITV1 brand. It was there purely to force the regional aspect out, as people referred to ITV and their local contractor name interchangeably. ITV1 put the network in peoples minds first; they changed it back when the job was done.
TT
ttt
The lack of Xmas pres has been floating around certain ITV companies since the 90s. STV had no idents for xmas during its third thistle period, but there did return. What were YTV and TT During Channel 3 era? Granada last affair with them in 99 was colourful.

There were Xmas graphics present during the C3 era. 1996 was bland with just some baubles on the end of promos; 1997 was better as a fully-fledged package was used, albeit only on promos again. Thre lack of Christmas idents went unnoticed for the most part in the TTT area as they'd never bothered with them in the past anyway (idents being rarely used period). I guess the lack of Xmas idents will have been noticed in the YTV area given that formed the bulk of the packages in previous years.
JB
JasonB
So live action isn't the trouble, it the logo.

How about ITVness?
IT
Ittr
I feel sorry for the people in the 90s who had to deal with ITV, ITV and ITV I dont know how there told the difference

Nowadays, we have to deal with ITV (the channel) and ITV (the company). Simply adding the 1 back would stop that confusion.
Then, ITV (the company) and ITV1 (the channel). Sounds less confusing, doesn't it?
A former member
No.
LL
Larry the Loafer
The company is called ITV plc.

Does that clear up the confusion for you?
JA
JAS84
Yeah, if referring to the channel, it's ITV. ITV, UTV and STV together is the ITV Network, and the company is ITV plc. Simple.
A former member
I don’t follow. I think I need this explaining more clearly.
IS
Inspector Sands
ttt posted:

There were no 'good intentions' with the ITV1 brand. It was there purely to force the regional aspect out,

No, the main reason was to promote the fact that there was more than one ITV channel, it was at that time when the ITV name was suddenly multiplying channels and services. There was ITV2 and ITV Sport and ITV Digital and ITV Select etc etc

They'd already been dual branding 'ITV' and the regional names for a while

Newer posts