TV Home Forum

CBeebies HD/BBC Four HD

now testing on satellite (November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
davidhorman
Well we all know its upscaled but it looks quite good upscaled I almost couldnt tell the difference until i saw the dog on the left.

I have to say you picked a pretty bad example - a blurry, grainy, black and white photo - to show the quality of upscaling!
BK
bkman1990
EPG details came up on BBC Four HD while I was watching it last night.
:-(
A former member

HA
harshy Founding member
Well we all know its upscaled but it looks quite good upscaled I almost couldnt tell the difference until i saw the dog on the left.

I have to say you picked a pretty bad example - a blurry, grainy, black and white photo - to show the quality of upscaling!

Is this any better?

MI
Mike516
On Freeview HD, placeholders for CBeebies HD, BBC FOUR HD and BBC NEWS HD have appeared on channels 74, 106, 107.

A screen appears advising that new HD channels from the BBC are coming soon, with a list of all the channel numbers. Slightly different to the screen on BBC THREE HD channel 105, which only lists BBC THREE HD and CBBC HD channel numbers, as only these two channels will be universally available.

However, to get these channels you have to be in range of the COM7 multiplex broadcast from transmitters at Crystal Palace (London), Winter Hill (Manchester, Preston, Liverpool), Belmont (Lincoln, Hull) or Black Hill (Glasgow).

COM7 will launch from transmitters at Sutton Coldfield (West Midlands), Sandy Heath (Bedford/Cambridge), Emley Moor (Leeds), Wenvoe (Cardiff), Divis (Belfast) and Craigkelly (Edinburgh) on the 10th December. Rumours suggest the BBC are working towards launching their HD channels around this date.

Still a lot of work to do before all commercial and technical issues are sorted, according to BBC Distribution's Alix Pryde on her recent blogpost.

(edit: I note this has partially been covered in the DTT thread, a bit of thread overlap).
Last edited by Mike516 on 26 November 2013 10:52pm
HA
harshy Founding member
They could switch it on right now on Sky to test, instead you get to see a static slide, why is taking so long to switch the source Sad
MI
Mike516
They could switch it on right now on Sky to test, instead you get to see a static slide, why is taking so long to switch the source Sad

Do you mean BBC RB HD's static slide? It's still the same slide on Freeview HD (although if you've retuned, the old channel 303 is now hidden). I would imagine the BBC will remap that feed onto COM7 on Freeview ahead of the launch of BBC News HD and relay the current BBC Three HD/CBBC HD satellite feed onto its own Freeview HD mux before launch.

I think the channels have to go through a spell of mandatory testing before they qualify to appear on Sky.
HA
harshy Founding member
a516 posted:
I think the channels have to go through a spell of mandatory testing before they qualify to appear on Sky.

I would have thought they would be showing hd pictures even if it's just a test or a feed of the channels but it's either upscaled or a static slide.
IS
Inspector Sands
The testing is probably more to test the data rates and bandwidth on the transponder. To do that doesn't matter if it's full HD or upconverted.

I suspect the reason that you're not seeing the full HD service is because the HD playout suites are still being tested
GM
Gary McEwan
a516 posted:
On Freeview HD, placeholders for CBeebies HD, BBC FOUR HD and BBC NEWS HD have appeared on channels 74, 106, 107.

A screen appears advising that new HD channels from the BBC are coming soon, with a list of all the channel numbers. Slightly different to the screen on BBC THREE HD channel 105, which only lists BBC THREE HD and CBBC HD channel numbers, as only these two channels will be universally available.

However, to get these channels you have to be in range of the COM7 multiplex broadcast from transmitters at Crystal Palace (London), Winter Hill (Manchester, Preston, Liverpool), Belmont (Lincoln, Hull) or Black Hill (Glasgow).

COM7 will launch from transmitters at Sutton Coldfield (West Midlands), Sandy Heath (Bedford/Cambridge), Emley Moor (Leeds), Wenvoe (Cardiff), Divis (Belfast) and Craigkelly (Edinburgh) on the 10th December. Rumours suggest the BBC are working towards launching their HD channels around this date.

Still a lot of work to do before all commercial and technical issues are sorted, according to BBC Distribution's Alix Pryde on her recent blogpost.

(edit: I note this has partially been covered in the DTT thread, a bit of thread overlap).

Nothing is appearing on my Freeview HD, and I'm on Black Hill...
VM
VMPhil
I'm on Winter Hill and have CBBC/BBC Three HD, but not CBeebies/BBC Four HD or BBC News HD.
FN
FromtheNorth
I'm on Winter Hill and got all the new HD channels during a rescan yesterday

Newer posts