TV Home Forum

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Sunday 8pm on ITV (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Revolution
I didn’t see it, but what’s this guy’s background? All the Tarrant era millionaires were either already massively wealthy and/or known quiz champions who’d already won many other TV and radio shows across the circuit.

The fact his relative was on the show just last year gives me Ingram vibes a bit...

Don't think he's part of a syndicate. Wink

As he said, his brother was on the show (also a teacher!) and scooped half a million.

https://millionaire.fandom.com/wiki/Davyth_Fear

Did feel anticlimactic when he said that. But some great deductive reasoning on show.
BR
Brekkie
It's refreshing to see someone just answer the bloody questions without insulting our intelligence by going around the houses with their reasoning for why each answer is or isn't correct.
RD
rdobbie
There were two questions tonight (the Charles Dickens and Doctor Who ones) where all the answers were very wordy, so much so that they had to condense the font to squeeze them into the boxes.

It would have been tough on any contestant who had to read it all to their Phone a Friend, and tough for their friend to digest it all without the luxury of seeing it laid out in written form.
SO
Soupnzi
Johnr posted:
That was a fantastic game, I suspect there were more than a few jaws open by the producers at how he just confidently gave the answers like they were the £100 - £1000 ones!

A shame he didn't do a John Carpenter and ring his Dad, or even better his brother to tell him he was about to beat him Very Happy (the family connection alone was a unexpected twist!)

Jeremy could hardly contain his emotions enough to close the show off!

I found it weirdly touching to see Clarkson like that. I can’t ever remember Tarrant choking back tears
MA
Markymark
I'm no fan of quiz shows, and we ended up watching last night's show by partial accident, but I found it one of most uplifting things I've seen on TV for quite a while. All credit to him, and Clarkson.
ST
Stuart
I'm no fan of quiz shows, and we ended up watching last night's show by partial accident, but I found it one of most uplifting things I've seen on TV for quite a while. All credit to him, and Clarkson.

It was indeed. He was a worthy winner, and Clarkson was an excellent host . It was actually as much fun seeing Clarkson's growing astonishment as the show progressed.
EM
Emily Moore
I enjoyed it, but the brother thing made it all a bit odd. Out of all the thousands of people who presumably apply, two brothers managed to a) get onto the show at all and then b) win Fastest Finger First within the space of about a year? Perhaps I'm just too cynical.
PF
PFML84
I applied for the show and didn't get on, but a pair of brothers did and both win big?! FIX! FIX I TELL YOU! Laughing Laughing
Last edited by PFML84 on 12 September 2020 11:34am
JO
Johnr
No matter your family relation, a good application form (just the fact he had the same musical taste as Jeremy probably raised the odds a bit!) and then good general knowledge in the auditions helps a lot!

Around 40,000 applications according to one poster on Digital Spy, makes you wonder how many were telephoning back in the day

I've just noticed the first FFF question was on history too and if you watch carefully it looks like Donald raced through it but then suddenly realizes he hasn't hit the confirm button Very Happy
JO
Jonwo
Johnr posted:
No matter your family relation, a good application form (just the fact he had the same musical taste as Jeremy probably raised the odds a bit!) and then good general knowledge in the auditions helps a lot!

Around 40,000 applications according to one poster on Digital Spy, makes you wonder how many were telephoning back in the day

I've just noticed the first FFF question was on history too and if you watch carefully it looks like Donald raced through it but then suddenly realizes he hasn't hit the confirm button Very Happy

I’ve always wondered if on certain gameshows, they weed out the smarter people not only from a financial POV but too many people like Donald would be a bit boring after a while.
Last edited by Jonwo on 12 September 2020 6:11pm
BR
Brekkie
Oh, absolutely. I think the Millionaire revival though has been a bit more respectful of quizzers though, whilst part of the appeal of the original initially was the phone in process widened the net.

Still wish they hadn't spoiled it - just saying someone reached the million pound question would have been enough. Indeed might have enticed the viewers hoping to see someone get the £1m question wrong - unless I'm mistaken (and I often am) I don't think anyone on our version has got it wrong.
Last edited by Brekkie on 12 September 2020 8:21pm
SJ
sjhoward
Indeed might have enticed the viewers hoping to see someone get the £1m question wrong - unless I'm mistaken (and I often am) I don't think anyone on our version has got it wrong.

Laurence and Jackie Llewellyn Bowen did (and the producers didn’t use the brilliant original music cue for it) - but got a re-do on the basis that the question was “flawed”.

Newer posts