TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
John posted:
With no regional programming on English ITV stations apart from regional news and the BBC ‘Inside Out’ often networking reports across regions, why does Scotland need an extra dedicated channel. I thought it had Alba?

The English regions need representing.

The English nations have local radio. Scotland has BBC Radio Scotland.

I am the first to make a case for more programming coming from outside London, but the nations of the UK have separate legal systems and separate traditions. Scotland's Parliament takes devolved decisions on huge swathes of policy, whereas the lack of coverage of Northern Irish issues (with the welcome exception of tonight's lead) mean viewers in that country may as well watch RTE over network UK news.

{Devil's advocate}
As the populations served by those nations are comparable to some English regions, are license payers in England not already subsidising those in the nations? A viewer in Scotland gets a lot more "regional" content than I do in Yorkshire, yet we pay the same license fee.

Maybe it should work in the same way that areas that want a Parish Council pay a small amount more in their Council Tax to fund it; if the Nations need more funds per head of population than English regions, shouldn't this come either from an extra tenner on the license fee for those who will benefit or a grant from the relevant devolved government?
TE
tesandco Founding member
It may not have appeared on network just yet, but the 'smoke' style ident was used into the 10pm junction on BBC Two Northern Ireland last night. A very different choice to the bright and cheerful balloons network went with!

PF
PFML84
The choppy-ness of the animation of the black and gold ident looks a bit odd, I wonder if it would have looked better as a smooth animation rather than jump-cutting it?
CO
Conor98
So we've pretty much seen every single ident in the package on air now.
Can't wait to see what Aardman has in store for us! Smile
AR
Argybargy
I presume the Aardman one will be this year's Christmas ident??
CO
Conor98

Sounds like a great idea.
Hopefully they'd make something festive but also a bit quirky to suit the presentation style.
Like the 2s in the 90s had some quirky Xmas idents so that could work with the 2 curves
CY
cylon6
It may not have appeared on network just yet, but the 'smoke' style ident was used into the 10pm junction on BBC Two Northern Ireland last night. A very different choice to the bright and cheerful balloons network went with!

That's a great ident but the Mic levels are too high! Stop drowning out the audio!! Grrrr!
CY
cylon6
So we've pretty much seen every single ident in the package on air now.
Can't wait to see what Aardman has in store for us! Smile

Now I'm waiting to see if they all have animations for trailers. Very Happy
:-(
A former member
It seem the network used clouds ident this after noon.
MI
Mike516
Ste71 posted:
Is BBC Two Wales HD going to be available via Freesat?

Ps the new idents are amazing Thumbs up

Yes!

The BBC has confirmed:
BBC Two Wales HD on all platforms
BBC Two NI HD not via satellite.
IS
Inspector Sands

I assumed they did either the one that looks like it's made from plasticine, or the stop motion felt one
IS
Inspector Sands

{Devil's advocate}
As the populations served by those nations are comparable to some English regions, are license payers in England not already subsidising those in the nations? A viewer in Scotland gets a lot more "regional" content than I do in Yorkshire, yet we pay the same license fee.

Though of course in an English region the services you get are more local than, say, Scotland. The two Scottish BBC radio and two TV stations* cover a large geographic area (with a few short opt outs). Whereas in Yorkshire there's several radio stations and there's two tv regions.

It's swings and roundabouts, my BBC local station covers a large area, but it's still better than someone in Lerwick having their local station coming from Glasgow for 99% of the day

*one only part license fee funded

Newer posts