TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MR
mr_vivian
a516 posted:
BBC Two Wales HD and BBC Two NI HD go live on 29th November, so you'll be able to see the local versions of the new idents in better quality...

Thank god. Well I don't watch BBC Two much but at least there will be a HD option. They look a bit fuzzy in SD. It's a shame they didn't hold off launching the new idents until we got our BBC TWO NI HD
ST
Ste71
Is BBC Two Wales HD going to be available via Freesat?

Ps the new idents are amazing Thumbs up
IS
Isonstine Founding member
I'm still surprised by the number of people that don't like this rebrand. Yes, it's not the 2s and it's perhaps not completely radical but in a landscape of boring "shoot a load of people at the end of a street" type presentation, I really welcome the fresh approach they have taken.

The 2s were great but this is a really nice departure from the usual TV branding and one that we haven't seen in such a long time. In my opinion, you've got to go back to Carlton in 1999 to find something that captures the same spirit.
MI
Mike516
Joe posted:
Guess Scotland are getting the new Scottish channel instead.

I think that was confirmed when the NI/Wales HD variants were announced, yes.

It was confirmed from the outset of the planning for BBC Scotland TV, long before the BBC Two Wales HD announcement, that BBC Scotland TV would effectively replace BBC Two Scotland and Scottish viewers would get BBC Two network.

It was also confirmed later in the regulatory approval process that there would be an HD version of BBC Scotland TV (original plans were for a SD only channel).

The BBC has never explicitly said in their announcements there's no BBC Two Scotland HD coming, but the proposals for BBC Scotland TV clearly show that there wouldn't be a need for BBC Two Scotland HD.

BBC Two Wales HD was announced as coming in June. BBC Media Centre never announced BBC Two NI HD; it's appearance on the BBC schedules pages was a little unexpected!
JO
John
With no regional programming on English ITV stations apart from regional news and the BBC ‘Inside Out’ often networking reports across regions, why does Scotland need an extra dedicated channel. I thought it had Alba?

The English regions need representing.
AS
Asa Admin
First appearance?

https://tvhome.co.uk/bbc-two/2018/10/10/2100
LO
lobster

The 2s were great but this is a really nice departure from the usual TV branding and one that we haven't seen in such a long time. In my opinion, you've got to go back to Carlton in 1999 to find something that captures the same spirit.

I agree. For me the actual weak link is the sound design, not really very memorable, from that point of view the 1990s 2s are hard to beat. But... Even so It's still a lot better than muffled chatting on in room or an exercise class in a village hall.

Also, at least we'll finally get something new for Christmas this year!
CY
cylon6

Well spotted Asa. I think it was the first time. Network also used the industrial one for the first time this week before Black Earth Rising. So only one more to make a proper appearance in a link and it's the smoky one used in the Autumn trailer.
CY
cylon6

I agree. For me the actual weak link is the sound design, not really very memorable, from that point of view the 1990s 2s are hard to beat. But... Even so It's still a lot better than muffled chatting on in room or an exercise class in a village hall.

Also, at least we'll finally get something new for Christmas this year!

I can still remember the tunes to some of those 90s 2 idents. They were memorably haunting and beautiful. Silk especially is just lovely.
WH
Whataday Founding member
John posted:
why does Scotland need an extra dedicated channel. I thought it had Alba?

I don't know whether you're being facetious or whether you genuinely don't realise that BBC Alba is a tiny Gaelic language channel, barely on the radar of those involved in the debate on Scottish broadcasting.
james-2001, p_c_u_k and Josh gave kudos
PC
p_c_u_k
John posted:
With no regional programming on English ITV stations apart from regional news and the BBC ‘Inside Out’ often networking reports across regions, why does Scotland need an extra dedicated channel. I thought it had Alba?

The English regions need representing.

The English nations have local radio. Scotland has BBC Radio Scotland.

I am the first to make a case for more programming coming from outside London, but the nations of the UK have separate legal systems and separate traditions. Scotland's Parliament takes devolved decisions on huge swathes of policy, whereas the lack of coverage of Northern Irish issues (with the welcome exception of tonight's lead) mean viewers in that country may as well watch RTE over network UK news.
JA
james-2001
If anyone seriously thinks a channel broadcasting in a language that only 1% of the population can speak classes as a national channel...

Newer posts