TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Si-Co posted:

You always used to call it a DOG back in your 'borg' days, dbl. Personally, I tend to say 'watermark'.

Does it really matter what a member of this forum calls it when it's blatantly clear to everyone what they mean?

No it doesn't matter, but I'm just saying that term isn't common as people say on the forum. (And yes, that was before I was working in the industry)
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
One of the bits of playout automation I'm working with this very moment has them scheduled as DOGs. But, yes, most channels refer to them as bugs.

Tends to be a BBC term, one of a number of things that historically were called one thing at the Beeb and another everywhere else.
LS
Lou Scannon
Tends to be a BBC term, one of a number of things that historically were called one thing at the Beeb and another everywhere else.

A bit like "CSO" (Beeb) and "Chroma-key" (everywhere else).
TM
tmorgan96
BUGs are called watermarks in Australia. We also call menus 'signposts'.
IS
Inspector Sands
A bit like "CSO" (Beeb) and "Chroma-key" (everywhere else).

That was a brand-name issue apparently, although they never seemed to have any problem with the term 'Aston'
DJ
DJGM
Meanwhile, back on topic . . .

Would it be safe to assume that Channel 5 HD is to take Freeview HD channel 105 recently vacated by BBC Three?
AN
Andrew Founding member
dvboy posted:
It's clearly called a DOG at the BBC at least as this article (1999) shows
http://625.uk.com/dogwatch/

(Whatever happened to the Campaign for Logo Free TV, did they give up?)

At least so called OSNs 'On screen Nexts' were short lived. Even the Beeb jumped on that bandwagon for a time.
JO
Jonny
At least so called OSNs 'On screen Nexts' were short lived. Even the Beeb jumped on that bandwagon for a time.

This notoriously appalling incident seemed to put a merciful end to those:

http://web.orange.co.uk/images/ice/tv/doctor_who_3fe4cecf39693064120f81d704f39950.jpg

When classless idea met shockingly bad design via tactless timing.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Si-Co posted:
You always used to call it a DOG back in your 'borg' days, dbl. Personally, I tend to say 'watermark'.

I thought watermarking was inserting something (inaudible to the viewer) onto the audio track for either copyright purposes or audience measurement?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The OSN's still appear on some of the smaller channels, just not on the mainstream channels - Challenge still uses them to name but one example. Not as big as the BBC One one above mind you.
LL
Larry the Loafer
UKTV uses them, but there could still be a good five minutes or so before the programme actually finishes.
CO
Colorband
Si-Co posted:

I thought watermarking was inserting something (inaudible to the viewer) onto the audio track for either copyright purposes or audience measurement?

According to Wikipedia, "A digital watermark is a kind of marker covertly embedded in a noise-tolerant signal such as an audio, video or image data."

Newer posts