TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
There's a bit about 31ish minutes in about why they do their revised repeats.

The criticism of renaming repeats is justified but oddly, I'm not as bothered by repackaging and reversions because I'm sure it's done by other broadcasters. If anything, the fact they were able to take an idea that failed the first time and rework it with new footage and narration and make it a success is pretty canny.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Jonwo posted:
There's a bit about 31ish minutes in about why they do their revised repeats.

The criticism of renaming repeats is justified but oddly, I'm not as bothered by repackaging and reversions because I'm sure it's done by other broadcasters. If anything, the fact they were able to take an idea that failed the first time and rework it with new footage and narration and make it a success is pretty canny.

I'm not sure it is done by other PSB's. Yes they repeat like all broadcasters which is fine but I don't believe there to be regular repackaging & renaming of this type.

PSB's have original production quotas. So it's a question of whether revised, renamed programming counts as original or otherwise. I don't think we've ever established that.
PF
PFML84
It's more the fact that Channel 5 are not only renaming programmes and putting them out again, but usually so close to their original broadcast with the previous name. It may be just about allowed to do it by Ofcom, but it's still very sneaky and viewers are catching on to it and its also just downright annoying.
AN
all new Phil
There’s certainly some irony in people regurgitating the same posts over and over again complaining about Channel 5 regurgitating the same shows over and over again.
BR
Brekkie
It's more the fact that Channel 5 are not only renaming programmes and putting them out again, but usually so close to their original broadcast with the previous name. It may be just about allowed to do it by Ofcom, but it's still very sneaky and viewers are catching on to it and its also just downright annoying.

In addition many of the shows they do that on are just clips of other broadcasters shows anyway, so hardly original in the first place.

There is also virtually no balance in the C5 schedule - it's cheap documentary after cheap documentary with virtually no scripted content or even films in primetime anymore. To think we used to mock them as CSI5 when they had quality US drama in the schedule practically every weeknight. I think both C4 and C5 suffer from not having an anchoring US network drama in the weeknight schedules at least once a week for the bulk of the year.
GO
gottago

PSB's have original production quotas. So it's a question of whether revised, renamed programming counts as original or otherwise. I don't think we've ever established that.

Channel 5's quota is only 50% and in that interview they're up to 80% so I'd be very surprised if revised and renamed programmes made up over 30% of their content!
YO
yogibarney
I personally believe both Channel 4 and Channel 5 have too many channels and need to refocus maybe close a station or 2 that way the existing budgets can be used more effectively
Square Eyes and all new Phil gave kudos
BA
Ballyboy
Is 5star meant to be a youth orientated channel?. I watch my wife and kids and 8 simple rules on there.
BR
Brekkie
I personally believe both Channel 4 and Channel 5 have too many channels and need to refocus maybe close a station or 2 that way the existing budgets can be used more effectively

I think C4's stations all have a purpose and all do relatively well.

To be fair C5 have now closed a station as after years of having 5Star (under various names) and 5USA (which does do well) they seemed to start launching channels for the sake of it, though it probably feels like they have more than they do as I think now 5Spike has gone only 5Select and the Paramount Channel remain, but there was certainly far too much cross over between the three in terms of what they were repeating. And of their portfolio 5Spike seems to have the most obvious target audience, whilst 5Select seems to be a bit of everything and Paramount is far lower rent than it should be given the name.

A shame they never did a movie channel really as most of their channels at some point in the week will have a full day of movies, so I think they've probably just about got the content without really signing any more deals, but it would be so much more obvious in the listings what the channel is for. Paramount would be far better focusing on movies and scripted content rather than being padded out with factual.
TT
TellyTime
Is 5star meant to be a youth orientated channel?. I watch my wife and kids and 8 simple rules on there.

It's aimed at the same demographic as BBC Three, E4 and ITV2.
GO
gottago

I think C4's stations all have a purpose and all do relatively well.
E4's long lost its purpose and hasn't been doing well at all for about two years. The channel's resorted to commissioning Celebrity Coach Trip and Celebrity Come Dine With Me for god's sake! Not to mention now being the fourth channel Don't Tell The Bride has appeared on. This from the channel that once brought us the Inbetweeners, Skins, Misfits and once looked untouchable in the demographic, now it can't launch an original sitcom with more than 50k viewers.

5 Star is still a very weird channel. I don't quite know why they're persisting with their originals strategy because no-one's watching any of them. Weird, boring, cheap programmes that are a lot like what was on the C5 of old and a lot of them don't seem to be aimed that young considering that's the demo they're supposed to be going for.
msim, Cando and DeMarkay gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
True about E4 but I'd say it still has a purpose even if it doesn't live up to it. The issue with a channel like E4 and shows like Hollyoaks is you either have to grow with your audience or continually capture a new young audience. Its launch 16-34 audience is now 35-54, and they've not done enough in recent years to appeal to those 20 years behind them.

Newer posts