The Newsroom

The new NEW Central West and BBC Midlands thread

(January 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MW
Mike W
News today that Ed Doolan (BBC WM) has died.
Rest in peace.
RD
RDJ
Both Central and Midlands Today have been airing tributes today for Ed.

Indeed Central clawed out clips from long running talk show Central Weekend Live to which Ed hosted a couple of editions in the early 90's.

Ed only hosted his last radio show last week which was broadcast on Sunday. And made his last public appearance in a wheelchair at the RTS Midlands awards a couple of months ago where he was confined to a wheelchair.

27 days later

LL
London Lite Founding member
Really not feeling these viewer contribution graphics on ITV News Central.

Now this strap during sport worked a lot better.

WM
W M
Is ITV Central still the graphics hub for the ITV News network?
MW
Mike W
Yes
RD
RDJ
That graphic was standard ITV Regional stock that I thought most regions use? Central's been using it since the look started 5 years ago.

50 days later

RD
RDJ
Today marks 45 years since Bob started at ATV. Cue some old ATV Today and Central News clips at the end of tonights show and a cake with some old ATV, Central and Carlton logos.

VIDEO: https://www.facebook.com/ITVCentral/videos/10156235796274035/
Last edited by RDJ on 3 April 2018 8:11pm - 2 times in total
Richard and Lou Scannon gave kudos
FL
flexiblefriend
RDJ posted:
Today marks 45 years since Bob started at ATV. Cue some old ATV Today and Central News clips at the end of tonights show and a cake with some old ATV, Central and Carlton logos.

VIDEO: https://www.facebook.com/ITVCentral/videos/10156235796274035/

I've not seen Central News for a while, what's with the background in that video? Is it a permanent thing now and they've ditched the Brum view whilst trying to emulate (not very well) the national background or is it a temporary thing?
ST
South Today
It's the pan regional background i.e no biased towards Nottingham or Birmingham. Awful isn't it.
FL
flexiblefriend
It's the pan regional background i.e no biased towards Nottingham or Birmingham. Awful isn't it.

Ah, that explains it - thanks. I'm not sure awful begin to describe it. Whoever signed off on that needs to get down to Specsavers!
LS
Lou Scannon
Those ITV plc regions that are usually/predominantly sub-regionalised (such as Central West/East) all have the crappy CGI "vision mixing gallery" backdrop available to them as a pan-regional alternative to their usual sub-regional outdoor city skyline views, if there are ever ad-hoc occasions where all/part of the bulletin goes pan-regional for any reason (thus avoiding bias). West Country certainly does this a fair few times each year.

I believe that the latter half or so the main 6pm Calendar programme is always pan-regional (with rare ad-hoc exceptions, perhaps?), so the respective Leeds/Hull backdrops are usually replaced by this CGI monstrosity mid-programme *every* weeknight.

13 days later

RD
RDJ
Images of Dale Winton in the GMB bulletins this morning following his death.

Expect a full report on his death n the full programme tonight at 6pm given his links to the Midlands and Central who made Supermarket Sweep.

That's the death of another Central personality given Jim Bowen's death a couple of weeks ago.

Newer posts