« Topics
Earlie37270 posts since 20 Oct 2003
Meridian (South) South Today
I think I've seen the original generic BBC regional Lambie Nairn sets with screens behind the presenters described as Window on the World.

Yup, and they were cleverly disguised with framing.

To be fair I think NWT Had the most real looking window back then with the framing.

That Midlands Today set looked quite ridiculous, the window looked like a toilet window or a box room.

Exactly the same situation as what is happening with ITV now. Trying to replicate a lavish national news design on the region's which a much more limited budget.

Slight tangent from the ITV discussion but the BBC 'Windows' were quite different across the regions as budgets were rather limited at the time too. Some regions, such as North West Tonight and Look North (NE & Cumbria), used old fashioned Barco cubes recycled from old sets (hence the vertical and horizontal frames as there were lines going vertically and horizontally to cover up). Other regions had larger budgets so had back projection (such as Newsroom South East). Midlands Today was a bit of a weird one - it was indeed two plasma TVs placed vertically and as far as I know, the only region to end up with this compromise. It never really worked and eventually they invested in a large 4:3 plasma and got rid of the framing (similar to what East Midlands Today had from the start). However, South Today and Spotlight didn't even bother with screens at all - their 'windows' were CSO'ed against a green screen. It was a cheap alternative but never really looked right to be honest.

I do agree that it was a missed opportunity to have the five screens placed vertically on the new ITV sets. They could've just had light boxes or carefully lit perspex on the side walls to avoid buying more than the five large screens that are being utilised. There is something not quite right about the design that seems to be going out to the regions - it does feel like it was going to be grander but then cuts have been made to save on the cost. I'm sure over time that they might become more cleverer with it. A simple up/downlight of a teal blue behind the plastic would make a big difference at least.
dazza1976 gave kudos
Mike W4,888 posts since 30 Apr 2006
London London

Looking at this set up, more so on the double headed main programme I feel that the blue beneath the screens works well with the brand and doesn't look as bad as the black seen elsewhere.

Just a shame it's the temporary set! That'd be a good shout if they did light it blue or teal!
Oh it's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it with you...
cnnfan1230
London London
I've think that there will be 2 backgrounds on the set, 1 for West Midlands opt, 2 for East Midlands opt
London London
I've think that there will be 2 backgrounds on the set, 1 for West Midlands opt, 2 for East Midlands opt

We know that already - there was a printed photograph of the Nottingham skyline in the photo of the Birmingham shoot tweeted by Liz Hannam
RDJ2,683 posts since 25 Oct 2003
Central (South) Midlands Today
Last uses of the temporary set this weekend as confirmed by Gareth Owen on Twitter:

Also curiously I think we can see how old their cameras are according to one certain sticker. It's surprising that it's only taken Central 2 weeks yet it took Yorkshire about a month to install their new set... and Central's temporary set was much nicer!
Central News South
January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
London London
Last uses of the temporary set this weekend as confirmed by Gareth Owen on Twitter:

Also curiously I think we can see how old their cameras are according to one certain sticker. It's surprising that it's only taken Central 2 weeks yet it took Yorkshire about a month to install their new set... and Central's temporary set was much nicer!

There's a few old guard left at Central that have prestige in what they do, the temporary sets are always of a good standard, not perfect given the spaces they have to play with - but they're not awful. I know the new ITV Regional News graphics hub is staffed by about 5/6 Central graphics designers who have been in post for about 20 years!
London London
What happened to the second studio Central had from the brief time they were broadcasting separate West/East programmes from Birmingham.

I believe the second studio is now available as office space from the Gas Street complex's new owners?

Carl Zeiss have started renting it as a showroom!
Rijowhi gave kudos
Andrew13,578 posts since 27 Mar 2001
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Well the delay with Yorkshire was presumably the issues with the lighting which still aren't fixed. I'm guessing it might have something to do with Central being in a proper studio and Yorkshire being in a converted space. It might be easier to light when the lights are further up?