The Newsroom

BBC Weather changes preview

Website displaying pages with Meteo data on adapted URL (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Why do UK weather forecasts have place names on the maps all the time? Like I'm a bit concerned you dont know the location of the town or location your visiting? Adds clutter for no reason. If you're going for zooms and flyovers then add them but they don't need to be in the full screen version of that map.

I guess it is useful for commuters, people travelling to different parts of the country.

Thanks to Sat Navs etc now, some people do have a staggering lack of geographic sense. A colleague of mine
was convinced that Surrey has a coast (and he lives in Guildford !) and had absolutely no idea where Newcastle upon Tyne was (other than it was 'up north') He drives all over the UK, but has NEVER looked at a map.
London Lite and Stuart gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
The intensity seems to be quite clearly shown, just like the old version:

The trouble with that right there is... what possible reason is there for the place name being a larger font than the temperature?

Exactly. That is probably the biggest issue I have with these new graphics.

One idea I had is to keep place names on for part of the forecast, but animate them off and replace in the same place with the temperature graphic.

That would also allow to display a couple more place names (like one of the two fairly big cities in the North West, currently missing since Tuesday, for example) and more countrywide temperatures to be displayed.
WO
Worzel
Why do UK weather forecasts have place names on the maps all the time? Like I'm a bit concerned you dont know the location of the town or location your visiting? Adds clutter for no reason. If you're going for zooms and flyovers then add them but they don't need to be in the full screen version of that map.

Because they're worried that people in London, Birmingham and Norwich (to name some) forget where they live. Laughing
DO
dosxuk

Because they're worried that people in London, Birmingham and Norwich (to name some) forget where they live. Laughing

Motorways on the map ain't gonna help with the latter!
ST
Stuart

I did some further tweaks, to try to reduce the clutter

I think you could probably get away with even smaller text for the place names. However, if they also removed the box and used a drop shadow on the text, it would be so much better.
AN
Andrew Founding member
The problem with that, is that the temperatures currently aren’t associated with the place names. By doing that you automatically end up excluding important places. Most importantly there is no Manchester
BR
Brekkie
Everybody knows it is always raining in Manchester though.
dbl, Spencer and Stuart gave kudos
NE
Neil__
Everybody knows it is always raining in Manchester though.

*narrows eyes*

*looks out of window*
Okay then...

Wink
MO
Mouseboy33
Sorry, The graphics are nice and all that, but the North America forecasts on BBC WORLD are a complete mess. Geographic boundaries missing or barely view able. Mexico, USA and Canada seem to be one big area. Sadly they dont think showing state or province boundaries matter. Major cities non existent and small insignificant cities shown. (ie They show Eugene Oregon, not but not the major city of Portland or even the state capital of Salem) and barely any cities in the middle of Canada and US are even shown. Edmonton, Calgary, Chicago, Toronto...the list goes on. And the forecasts are only for coastal cities with the exception of Montreal. Huh? The temperature maps are meaningless to show its just colours, might be more useful to show actual temperatures. I guess the weather presenter is bolted to the floor, and not allowed to move to the other side of the screen, so they dont really show much of the country except whats 2 inches from their barely raised finger. Cute but not very informative.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 8 February 2018 7:49pm
DB
dbl
They need to reduce the location name sizes, it's overkill.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
What they need to do, is either get rid of the forecast for Jersey and the Orkney/Shetland Isles, or stick them in a box in the top right corner somewhere. Then they could enlarge the map and make it more user-friendly.
BR
Brekkie
Sorry, The graphics are nice and all that, but the North America forecasts on BBC WORLD are a complete mess. Geographic boundaries missing or barely view able. Mexico, USA and Canada seem to be one big area.

Well the wall hasn't gone up yet.

Newer posts