TV Home Forum

BBC Sport - new graphics (Reith font)

Split from The Sport Thread (August 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CL
clh
Complaints today on Points of View about the new graphics on Final Score
TM
tmorgan96
So... you would have a co-channel trail pointing to Proms coverage on both BBC Two Northern and BBC Four... with on-screen branding consisting of BBC Two and BBC Four logos, plus a "Northern Ireland" lying by itself at the bottom of the screen?

From the perspective of a tourists to Northern Ireland, watching TV in their hotel room... what would they imagine the "Northern Ireland" is for? Would they know it was supposed to be attached to the BBC Two? Might they initially think it should go with the BBC Four? Or perhaps they'll look at it and wonder if the concert is taking place somewhere near their hotel?

In that case, there is only one entity that needs a regional/national identifier. It is only in cases of repetition I suggest it be dropped in favour of a single national/logo

So... take that Proms trail and add in a visual reference to BBC One Northern Ireland, in addition to BBC Two Northern Ireland and BBC Four. You still have the issue of your "Northern Ireland" lying at the bottom of the screen and a tourist not knowing what the "Northern Ireland" is in reference to.

The obvious answer is to have BBC Northern Ireland as a logo by itself, with "Two" and "Four" as squares next to the BBC NI logo.

Similar theory to the current slides from BBC Sport with the "One"One positioned opposite.
DE
denton
The BBC SPORT logo is there because the content is produced or commissioned by BBC SPORT... the ONE represents the channel it's going to broadcast on.

The BBC Northern Ireland logo would not be there to represent who produced or commissioned the content. Once again, for tourist, they would still not know which of the channel logos should be associated with the BBC Northern Ireland logo. Should it be the ONE or the FOUR?

Not quite so obvious.
JO
Jon
Why are you so obsessed with idea of a tourist being confused? It seems mad to make decision based on such a tiny percentage of the audience most of which won't be licence fee payers. I've never heard anyone in broadcasting making decisions like this based on tourists before.

My solution would be have the BBC Sport NI logo on the trails of local broadcasts with just the One. Have a the normal BBC Sport logo on national productions with 'Northern Ireland' underneath the one. It would look a lot tidier and there and you wouldn't have the problem of plastering the Northern Ireland name or BBC logos all over the place.

I'm not suggesting get rid of BBC One/Two North Ireland in the brand the voice over would reinforce that but in this instance it would seem like the better route to go down.
Last edited by Jon on 4 September 2017 5:50pm
DV
DVB Cornwall
Useful

(Twitter - nabbed pre removal)
AG
AxG
Hmm Oxlade-Cham...
GM
nodnirG kraM
Useful

Team Name have been rubbish since their last manager was sacked.
SP
Spencer
Useful

Team Name have been rubbish since their last manager was sacked.

They need to bring back Firstname Surname to sort them out.
PE
peterh
It's a version of BBC 1 that suits that particular nation like Scotland and Wales have - England regionalises further due to size and spread of population and land as well as political structure and sense of affinity and transmitter coverage etc. BBC ni identify themselves in the way they do trying to unify both their national brand and the channels United brand elsewhere in the uk even though it's a struggle to fit it in sometimes.
DE
denton
Jon posted:
Why are you so obsessed with idea of a tourist being confused? It seems mad to make decision based on such a tiny percentage of the audience most of which won't be licence fee payers. I've never heard anyone in broadcasting making decisions like this based on tourists before.

Oddly enough I'm not obsessed with tourists. I first introduced the idea of a tourist (using them as an obvious person with no prior knowledge of the BBC's services or on-screen branding) to make people reading this thread attempt to think through the implications of detaching the "Northern Ireland" from the channel branding and having it as a separate element on screen.

If your branding idea doesn't work without prior knowledge of what other bits of the on-screen branding the "Northern Ireland" is meant to refer to, then it simply doesn't work.

I keep referring back to the idea of a person with no prior knowledge, and how they would interpret the branding, because none of the ideas put forward so far satisfy the need for the branding to work without prior knowledge.

Of course branding decisions are not made based on what tourists to Northern Ireland think... however, good creatives/agencies will at least attempt to think through what the perception/clarity of their brand idea is to someone with no prior knowledge of it. If it's not working at that basic level, then there is something wrong it. That said... you can't account for stupidity.

Jon posted:
My solution would be have the BBC Sport NI logo on the trails of local broadcasts with just the One. Have a the normal BBC Sport logo on national productions with 'Northern Ireland' underneath the one.

Well... the BBC SPORT NI logo is already on trails for BBC SPORT NI produced content... and the network BBC SPORT logo is already on trails for UK wide BBC SPORT produced content... so far, so logical.

However, your idea of no "Northern Ireland" on the BBC One logo of Northern Irish sport trails... while potentially in the same junction having a "Northern Ireland" on the BBC One logo of non-Northern Irish sport trails would make the channel branding look inconsistent, and is rather illogical.
BA
bilky asko
AxG posted:
Hmm Oxlade-Cham...

Sky Sports News had a similar issue on one of their touchscreens on Transfer Deadline Day - surely his surname should be the go-to test name for these sorts of graphics.
JO
Jon

However, your idea of no "Northern Ireland" on the BBC One logo of Northern Irish sport trails... while potentially in the same junction having a "Northern Ireland" on the BBC One logo of non-Northern Irish sport trails would make the channel branding look inconsistent, and is rather illogical.

I believe in the license fee and the nations but you make me wonder whether logical thought over egos exists in the nations. I’m asking you to grow up and understand branding for the future of the BBC Northern Ireland brand. I suspect you chaps are secretly terrified of the corporation deciding that nations don't need unique branding anymore, because I certainly don't think they do, and simply it’s your reaction that has made me come to this conclusion. And it's your ludicrous thought processes that have led me and others to come to that conclusion.

Newer posts