The Newsroom

BBC News - General

January 2007 onwards (January 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
chris posted:
Moz posted:
Well if the other thread is true there won't be a One so that settles that problem! Just send Sophie to the Six with Matthew and Jane doing 'the One' from N8 and it'll all be sorted!

What a stupid comment:

1) If you actually click on the link in that thread which goes to this information provided on "Times Online", you'll read that many BBC people have said the idea of axing the one is ludicrous and will not happen.

2) Sophie has young children so is on the 1.

3) Oh, there isn't a three, but I'm still annoyed at your stupid comment.

Grow up Chris. Out of your points, number 3 is the most sensible.

"Many people" at the BBC may say the idea is ludicrous, but these are probably people who are against cuts. It's what management think about the idea that matters and the way that things are going I think that the loss of the 1 will be an acceptable one.

Sophie's personal life is her personal life and she can't expect BBC News to keep the 1 just so she can be home in time to read bedtime stories!
CH
chris
Moz posted:
"Many people" at the BBC may say the idea is ludicrous, but these are probably people who are against cuts. It's what management think about the idea that matters and the way that things are going I think that the loss of the 1 will be an acceptable one.

"Probably" being the most important word in that statement.

Seen as you appear to still not have read it, here's a quote for you:

Times Online posted:
Late last night a BBC spokesman said: “Any suggestion that the One O’Clock News bulletin is under threat or to be axed is complete nonsense.”

Unless I'm mistaken, I would have thought a BBC spokesman would be speaking from management...

And why should they axe the 1? There's plenty more places they could say money.

Moz posted:
Sophie's personal life is her personal life and she can't expect BBC News to keep the 1 just so she can be home in time to read bedtime stories!

Why not? It's just a job Moz. Many mothers work part-time; should they be told "you can't expect the company/organisation you work for to give you certain hours just so you can be home in time to read bedtime storied"?
MO
Moz
chris posted:
Moz posted:

"Probably" being the most important word in that statement.

Seen as you appear to still not have read it, here's a quote for you:

Times Online posted:
Late last night a BBC spokesman said: “Any suggestion that the One O’Clock News bulletin is under threat or to be axed is complete nonsense.”

Unless I'm mistaken, I would have thought a BBC spokesman would be speaking from management...

Have you never heard of the old phrase given out by football club spokespeople, "The manager has the board's full support", usually about a week before said manager is sacked. It's all spin, can't you see that?

chris posted:
And why should they axe the 1? There's plenty more places they could say money.

Because everyone's in work then so why do they need a lunchtime bulletin. It's a nonsense in these days of rolling news. Breakfast is there to give an update on what's happened while you've been asleep, the 6 is there as people get home from work, and the 10 is a round-up of the day's news before you go to bed. The 1 was only introduced when daytime TV started as there was no other news between Breakfast Time and the Six, but now there is 24 what's the point of it.

chris posted:
Moz posted:

Why not? It's just a job Moz. Many mothers work part-time; should they be told "you can't expect the company/organisation you work for to give you certain hours just so you can be home in time to read bedtime storied"?

Yes they should! Being a highly paid BBC newsreader isn't 'just a job' it's a career.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Moz posted:
Because everyone's in work then so why do they need a lunchtime bulletin. It's a nonsense in these days of rolling news. Breakfast is there to give an update on what's happened while you've been asleep, the 6 is there as people get home from work, and the 10 is a round-up of the day's news before you go to bed. The 1 was only introduced when daytime TV started as there was no other news between Breakfast Time and the Six, but now there is 24 what's the point of it.

Wow, that's some generalisation, even for you, Moz! With that sweeping statement, you've cast aside all the retired people, housewives/husbands, people off sick, rich people who don't need to work, students, patients in hospital, passengers in airports (i've seen TV's tuned to BBC1 in Manchester airport)...the list is endless. If daytime ratings were that bad, the broadcasters would have done away with daytime TV years ago. What would you prefer, Moz? A testcard?
JO
Joe
And what's to stop people at work watching in their lunch break?
MO
Moz
itsrobert posted:
Moz posted:

Wow, that's some generalisation, even for you, Moz! With that sweeping statement, you've cast aside all the retired people, housewives/husbands, people off sick, rich people who don't need to work, students, patients in hospital, passengers in airports (i've seen TV's tuned to BBC1 in Manchester airport)...the list is endless. If daytime ratings were that bad, the broadcasters would have done away with daytime TV years ago. What would you prefer, Moz? A testcard?

Rolling Eyes
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Jugalug posted:
And what's to stop people at work watching in their lunch break?

Yes, or even people working irregular hours. It may be the only bulletin they get to see in a day. Let's face it, the One O'Clock News is just as important as any other bulletin on BBC One.
MA
mansoor
The One O'Clock News is the highest rated show on UK daytime TV, pulling in about 2.5 - 3 million viewers each lunchtime which is about 40% of the total number of people watching TV at that time. Hence making it the higest rated news program in the UK in terms of shares.

Many people people say shares are more important than the number of viewers as with there being hundeds of channels these days what each channel is fighting for is there share of the total. BBC1 has a share of about 22% so the One O'Clock News is a high rated show as it gets nearly twice the channel average share. The Six is on about 20%and the Ten between 25% and 30%.
NE
Newsroom
Did Sophie do the Six last night?
MA
mansoor
Newsroom posted:
Did Sophie do the Six last night?

No - Sian.
JW
JamesWorldNews
There is a nice article/interview with Fiona Bruce in the current edition of a certain men's lifestyle magazine (beginning with the letter E), in which she speaks of her days of getting p!ssed and also how her college day singing was "sh!te".

In a strange way, despite the intent of the article, she comes across as extremely uncool. She also makes reference to gossip in the newsroom where some of her colleagues apparently spoke badly of her early return to work after childbirth.

Interesting article. But, a bit over-hyped. One is left with the impression of Fiona being a sex goddess.

She is a newsreader, for goodness sakes.
BB
BBC LDN
I must say it was a genuine treat to see Michael Fish presenting the weather again on the 1 this afternoon as part of the 20th anniversary coverage of the Great Storm.

It was all very well done, from the report package to the informal chat between Michael and Sophie, and it was a really nice touch for the Beeb to invite him to present the forecast as well.

Good stuff.

Newer posts