The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Meridian AM
The end of the world would have to happen before BBC News (channel) would drop their pre-recorded back half hours Rolling Eyes

Sky wins the night's coverage again.
(CNN International stuck in US simulcast mode again since 2100, so no chance of European news coverage)
BF
BFGArmy
The end of the world would have to happen before BBC News (channel) would drop their pre-recorded back half hours Rolling Eyes

Sky wins the night's coverage again.
(CNN International stuck in US simulcast mode again since 2100, so no chance of European news coverage)

Indeed Sky's presentation/graphics may be criticised on here but their advantage is that 99% of the time I can tune in and there'll be live news and they're ready to roll on a story if it breaks. Whereas BBC/CNNI are not flexible enough with their schedule - if it's not the "right time" you're left waiting for an update.
MA
Meridian AM
BBC News (UK channel) is too slow to react and too busy simulcasting BBC World, whose 'bulletin' style programming doesn't work whenever they should be in 'rolling' mode.
CNNI is too busy simulcasting CNN US and there doesn't seem to be any CNNI staff working these days to be able to break away for breaking Europe news.
Sky's graphics are a let down, but for their reporting and their urgency, they are definitely the most reliable company as a news channel for fast moving Europe developments. Anna Jones and Anna Botting are particular assets to presenting Sky's coverage in the evenings.
As I said in the CNN thread, I have always been a CNN fan, but CNN International has been disappointing during the pandemic in terms of coverage of international news.
VA
valley
New graphic on Sky which flips between total doses, 1st doses and 2nd doses as raw numbers and percentages:

watchingtv, Rory02 and Meridian AM gave kudos
LO
Londoner
BBC London back to having its own lunchtime bulletin rather than sharing with Tunbridge Wells
AN
Ant
BBC One with a news flash just now reporting the death of Captain Sir Tom Moore.
AA
aaron_scotland
Ant posted:
BBC One with a news flash just now reporting the death of Captain Sir Tom Moore.

Wow, surprised they required a news flash. Queue 'They cant win if they do or dont' type debate.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Ant posted:

Quite incredible that the BBC do a newsflash for this yet not for the US Capitol being under attack by its own citizens. I do wonder who calls the shots at the BBC sometimes.
BR
Brekkie
Considering there is supposedly a very narrow list of senior people who would get a newsflash on BBC1 it should be surprising, but it isn't.
BR
Brekkie
Appears they joined the BBC News Channel for the news flash rather than doing something separately. Obviously they've joined the news channel for extended coverage before but on the rare occassions they run newsflashs aren't they usually separate?

AndrewPSSP, Matthew_Fieldhouse and Newsroom gave kudos
FG
FraserGJ
Captain Tom was one of the few beacons of hope and optimism in the bleakness of the last year.

Genuinely welling up a bit at the tributes, to someone who I'd not heard of 12 months ago - I think that says everything about the kind of man he was.

The news flash on BBC One was appropriate I think, while he was in a member of the public and not a VIP, he was as important to the nation as any VIP... The BBC made the correct call.

RIP Captain Sir Tom
tightrope78 and London Lite gave kudos
AS
Asa Admin
I've just cleared a load of posts unless they're related to the newsflash. The desperation for some to jump on here and analyse the death of a man minutes after it was announced is appalling. Go find somewhere else for it if that's your thing.

Newer posts