The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SI
Siggy

I think, apart from the obvious loss of life, Covid-19 has shown us a lot of different ways of working with less people needed in places like offices - and TV studios. Sadly the BBC should not be immune from that and I suspect its commercial rivals will follow suit. Presentation-wise I'm really not convinced 'the viewer' expects to see two presenters every time - the nationals have worked fine with singles for years. What I would question though, is the bigger number of local web journalists and weather presenters the regional BBC appear to employ compared with their ITV regional rivals.

Do we really want pre-recorded weather forecasts that are 12 hours old when broadcast? We shouldn't be aiming for a rush to the bottom otherwise say farewell to BBC Local radio in the same way as Global et al.

Susie read a brief story on the changes today but no specific mention of double headed presentation going. Felt slightly subdued at that point and when Stewart joined for his daily appearance.

I am absolutely gutted for them. They are the longest serving regional partnership by miles. You can tell by their chemistry they are true friends off screen too. Perhaps the BBC will give in and do a U-turn.

Can’t see that happening! If so they’d need to do the same for the other effected regions too.

Assume this will mean them both going part time to share? Otherwise (for example) if they both still happened to be in the building at the same time 1-2 days a week why couldn’t they still be able to have the occasional double headed edition?

Perhaps they’ll change the late editions too as currently Stewart/Susie only normally present lunch and 6.30pm with Amelia on late. Surely it makes more sense for the 6.30pm presenter to always do the late? In theory there should be plenty of spare aspiring presenters around during the day to do the lunchtime.
JK
JKDerry
The reality check is regional news on British television has been hacked back on both networks so much over the last decade. Local news now on both the BBC and ITV will be the bare minimum they can provide without provoking a bollocking from OFCOM.

I knew this would happen, when I saw the ITV attitude to regional news in 2009, I knew it was the end for proper regional news on British television, and now it is the BBC turn to take the axe and cut as much as they can.

I wonder how the presenters on TalkRadio will react to this, as they have been ranting and raving about the overstaffed BBC and too many regional news programmes for over a year now, I wonder will they be gloating or will they do a u-turn and become raged with the axing?
CM
cmthwtv
As expected, many presenters not particularly happy tonight.

BR
Brekkie

I think it’s totally unacceptable for the BBC to be cutting back on local services when the commercial market is no longer able & failing to fulfil this role. What is the point of the licence fee if they cut services where the free market is failing and has been cutting. Local TV & local radio is the perfect argument for having a licence fee in this country. ITV regions, local radio & local press are all being/have been decimated over the years. Commercial local TV licenses; a complete failure. This is an area the BBC can stand out. Their priorities are all wrong.

Really though the regulator not bowing to every request from commercial operators is what the industry needs. They shouldn't be allowed to drop commitments with the expectation the BBC will pick up the slack.
AN
Andrew Founding member
To be fair on the scale of how outspoken BBC presenters often are about BBC issues, that is a pretty weak response.
AS
AlexS
Siggy posted:
Do we really want pre-recorded weather forecasts that are 12 hours old when broadcast? We shouldn't be aiming for a rush to the bottom otherwise say farewell to BBC Local radio in the same way as Global et al.

Susie read a brief story on the changes today but no specific mention of double headed presentation going. Felt slightly subdued at that point and when Stewart joined for his daily appearance.

I am absolutely gutted for them. They are the longest serving regional partnership by miles. You can tell by their chemistry they are true friends off screen too. Perhaps the BBC will give in and do a U-turn.

Can’t see that happening! If so they’d need to do the same for the other effected regions too.

Assume this will mean them both going part time to share? Otherwise (for example) if they both still happened to be in the building at the same time 1-2 days a week why couldn’t they still be able to have the occasional double headed edition?

Perhaps they’ll change the late editions too as currently Stewart/Susie only normally present lunch and 6.30pm with Amelia on late. Surely it makes more sense for the 6.30pm presenter to always do the late? In theory there should be plenty of spare aspiring presenters around during the day to do the lunchtime.

I don't think it's legally possible to force people to go part time (especially considering the pay cut that it will entail). While the presenters in some regions may themselves opt to do if they don't need the full time salary or have other earning opportunities that they'd like to spend more time on while retaining a screen presence (or have other opportunities within the BBC that are unaffected such as Roger J on breakfast and final score), it is likely that some would opt for redundancy over going part time.
While I can understand the outcry at the proposed cuts it is hard to argue that some consolidation in terms of presenters shouldn't be possible in many regions. Midlands today, for example, already relies solely on 2 presenters a day and uses a combination of local radio presenters and the weather team to handle weekends, whereas some other regions seem to have separate presenters for each of breakfast, lunch, 18:30 and the late bulletins as well as a dedicated weekend presenter.
Jeffmister and valley gave kudos
ST
Steve Founding member
Yes, that’s what I think is disappointing - there’s no allowance for a region to deploy its team of journalists in the way they think best. The double headed regions don’t get extra money for being double headed but have decided that’s how they’ll use their resources. If one does lunch and 6.30 and one does 6.30 and 10 that seems like a sensible use of the team to me and I don’t understand why they can’t have the flexibility to keep doing that.
AS
AlexS
Steve posted:
Yes, that’s what I think is disappointing - there’s no allowance for a region to deploy its team of journalists in the way they think best. The double headed regions don’t get extra money for being double headed but have decided that’s how they’ll use their resources. If one does lunch and 6.30 and one does 6.30 and 10 that seems like a sensible use of the team to me and I don’t understand why they can’t have the flexibility to keep doing that.

If Midlands today are managing to spend the same as certain other regions either somebody is getting rather rich for doing relatively little, there is one hell of a lot of wastage somewhere along the line at MT, or certain other regions have next to no reports by anyone other than the presenters in their bulletins.
AN
Andrew Founding member
What happens with the older veteran presenters will be a minefield. They will be on the highest salaries so it would be a big saving, but it’ll cost a fortune to make them redundant, and many will be retiring before long anyway. But there will be lots of bad press if they make someone so popular in the region redundant.
TI
timbouk
What happens with the older veteran presenters will be a minefield. They will be on the highest salaries so it would be a big saving, but it’ll cost a fortune to make them redundant, and many will be retiring before long anyway. But there will be lots of bad press if they make someone so popular in the region redundant.

I doubt any of the main regional BBC news presenters are likely to be on salary so unlikely to be made redundant. More likely that contracts will not be renewed or paid off early.
MI
m_in_m
Siggy posted:

From what I have seen lunchtime is shared amongst a number of presenters so sometimes the breakfast presenter while other days Susie or Stewart. Amelia sometimes does lunchtime and late. There is nothing to say that any of the presenting team work full time pre Covid-19 and they may not wish to afterwards.
BR
Brekkie
A routinely renewed contract though isn't always a get out of jail free card - indeed after 4 years they're considered an employee unless there is a good reason for them not to be and they're entitled to redundancy after 2 years.

I guess it'll vary from region to region but how many on screen talent do we think each region would have?

Newer posts