The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards

BF
BFGArmy Channel Channel Islands
I get that the news channel has to modernise, but if they seriously think having someone standing at a touchscreen for a couple of hours is what the future looks like for news channels then I think I'd rather opt for CBeebies.

Touchscreens seem very 2006, I don't think it adds much. Something like what Sky had at the election, with graphics making use of empty space is far more impressive I think. I know the BBC do this a bit with the papers.

In regards to the "main" BBC news studio in the newsroom (E I think), I have always seen this as a temporary studio. It is just a bit of glass dividing an open space at the end of the day. Yes I know it is all wired up and far more complex than that. At some stage the set and the background (i.e the newsroom) is going to look dated and old, and you can't do much with it at that stage. It is fine at the moment. You can perhaps change a few colours and shapes etc and give it a bit more life, but I can't see it lasting too long beyond 2025. At which stage they will need to move somewhere else. A studio with more space where they can actually build something new. The "old" Newsnight studio would be a good choice?

Speaking of modernisation, why is it that British news channels seem to spend an age getting to reporting the news at the top of each hour? They start with video clips of each story, give a short explanation, then have a big introduction, and then finally we get the news. This is far too slow. It takes about a minute and a half for the BBC to actually start. I found a German example where is takes about 20 seconds. As much as I love the big introductions, especially the old Sky News style (Live from the Sky News Centre, this is Sky.... etc) the world has moved on. People want things to start quickly. Not visit the Newsroom for a tour.
A

It's noticable with bulletins from about 15-20 years ago how much more pacy the introductions are. The headlines & title sequence are done within half a minute or so and you're straight into the meat of the bulletin.Whereas now the opening goes on so long you almost don't need to bother with the bulletin.

I guess the advantage of B not being used is that if E does start to look stale, there's time to adapt B so less floor crew are needed/more can be automated or, while Studio E is updated, some programmes can move into B pretty easily while it's updated.

Surprised Sky haven't decided to use those AR graphics more often - with the election they proved it's possible and it's an easy way to vary the presentation and show off Sky Central. Seeing that corridor and the big screen all the time can be a bit tiresome.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
The screens in E with their thick borders have always looked far worse than those in B, so if B is being mothballed it would be nice to bring those screens over.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
CM
cmthwtv West Country (East) Points West
It will be a shame if all the work that has gone into the news channel over the past few years is just chucked down the drain. Newsroom Live and Afternoon Live both have beautiful themes (arguably better than the generic ones) and reithed titles. I listened to a podcast the other week from about a year or two ago where the man in charge of the News Channel was talking about how they are trying to modernise it and are putting a lot of work into it. It seems that will just be chucked away at this point.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
It will be a shame if all the work that has gone into the news channel over the past few years is just chucked down the drain. Newsroom Live and Afternoon Live both have beautiful themes (arguably better than the generic ones) and reithed titles. I listened to a podcast the other week from about a year or two ago where the man in charge of the News Channel was talking about how they are trying to modernise it and are putting a lot of work into it. It seems that will just be chucked away at this point.

Still all feels quite safe and predictable though. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but you’d think a show with ‘Live’ in the title would have a bit more energy to it. They’ve never really been able to crack pace and no amount of slightly different music and titles will change that.
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
If Marr returns in its current format in September, and Newsnight carries on this way from E, then I'm not sure I'll continue watching. There just isn't the same energy to either programme.

I miss Emma Barnett being able to lunge at an unsuspecting politician, 'ripping out their throat like a rabid dog'. Being on the other side of a plasma screen is like putting Emma in a cage. Crying or Very sad

Emily Maitlis and Kirsty Wark can still snipe and be sarcastic DTL, but again you just miss that instant reaction from their 'victims'.
VA
valley
Surprised Sky haven't decided to use those AR graphics more often - with the election they proved it's possible and it's an easy way to vary the presentation and show off Sky Central. Seeing that corridor and the big screen all the time can be a bit tiresome.

It was a complicated production process and relied on three cameras (spidercam, a Technocrane and a pedestal camera) which are no longer present in the space as they were either hired in or are now needed on productions elsewhere on site. It was also reliant upon precise motor encoding (for the spidercam) and tracking markers on the floor (for the Techno and ped), and there was a dedicated team of people who spent many hours (including numerous all-nighters) getting it to work properly, not to forget the custom graphic designs and graphics engines needed to render the AR.

If they wanted it to be permanent, it would require additional cameras, support equipment, and on-going rehearsal time (for different presenters, directors, etc.), the latter of which they do not have the time to do for a channel on air 24 hours a day. What if they wanted to rehearse a segment but both galleries are in use?

Custom AR graphics like that work much better when used in specific programming, and when over-used the "wow" effect is diminished.
HO
House Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
If Marr returns in its current format in September, and Newsnight carries on this way from E, then I'm not sure I'll continue watching. There just isn't the same energy to either programme.

I miss Emma Barnett being able to lunge at an unsuspecting politician, 'ripping out their throat like a rabid dog'. Being on the other side of a plasma screen is like putting Emma in a cage. Crying or Very sad

Emily Maitlis and Kirsty Wark can still snipe and be sarcastic DTL, but again you just miss that instant reaction from their 'victims'.

They can interview at a desk just as easily as they can from chairs or sofas. I suspect guests won’t be back in studio regularly, though, until the threat level is lower.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if Marr and Newsnight move to another studio that can have a more appropriate set, such as the World Service studio Newsnight was in during the election run-up. The main cost saving of B appears to be staffing, so as long as you can find another studio that can be heavily automated that would achieve the same goal?
RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today

Still all feels quite safe and predictable though. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but you’d think a show with ‘Live’ in the title would have a bit more energy to it. They’ve never really been able to crack pace and no amount of slightly different music and titles will change that.

To be fair Afternoon Live makes/made an effort with its different presentation but Newsroom Live is basically a generic bbc news channel
Hour just with different titles and music at the beginning. They could have done some links or interviews from the newsroom for example.
Stay alert. Control the virus. Save lives.
WO
Worzel Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
House posted:

They can interview at a desk just as easily as they can from chairs or sofas. I suspect guests won’t be back in studio regularly, though, until the threat level is lower.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if Marr and Newsnight move to another studio that can have a more appropriate set, such as the World Service studio Newsnight was in during the election run-up. The main cost saving of B appears to be staffing, so as long as you can find another studio that can be heavily automated that would achieve the same goal?

Isn't there a small set in the newsroom on the same floor as the business unit which could be used? I believe it was used for Meet the Author? Looks a bit like N8 with Plexiglass.

Edit: this one... don't know what it's called.

JF
JF World News (previously JPF) West Country (East) Points West
House posted:

Isn't there a small set in the newsroom on the same floor as the business unit which could be used? I believe it was used for Meet the Author? Looks a bit like N8 with Plexiglass.

Expect that is used 24/7 by BBC Russian, BBC Ukrainian, BBC What's New (African youth bulletin), BBC Hausa, BBC Afrique, back up for BBC Swahili & BBC Pashto
IN
Independent World News
Outside Source is the sort of show that would work well in conjunction with regular bulletins as the back half hour filler but doesn't work so well as the bulletin itself.

I think as talked about a couple of weeks back reworking Beyond 100 Days and OutsideSource into a new evening programme designed to be simulcast would be the best thing to do.

My controversial suggestion: they should bring back the former World News Today's format where they take a no nonsense comprehensive look at the day's news. The current WNT is nothing like the original(s) (range of stories, 30 min vs. 1 hr).
And world news will be world news. Not focused on a couple of stories that must have a connection to America. UK politics/international relations could fit seamlessly if it tried fitting a few more stories about places other than just America and the UK. But this might not appeal to young people.

The days when BBC World (News) used to look beyond America and trivial social media trends.
Last edited by Independent on 26 July 2020 5:40am
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight

I think it's called Studio K, and is one of the 'Multi-Purpose Areas'.

Newer posts