TV Home Forum

One World Together

Split from Coronavirus | Schedule Changes (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BF
BFGArmy
Odd approach this from the Beeb. Given the concert took place last night and there were several hours of performances you'd have thought it would just be 'the best bits' of the concert and a respite from the situation we're all in currently.
Whereas whenever I catch any of it, it seems to be Dermot, Clara or Claudia and human stories with the odd musical performance and all it's doing is reminding more than ever how hopeless I feel in this situation.

And given the social distancing guidelines having the three presenters in a studio feels pretty irresponsible. I somewhat doubt they're key workers and you'd have need others there too to set up the studio, operate the cameras etc when the presenters could easily have done links from home
AJB39, Josh and Brekkie gave kudos
GO
gottago
I imagine because it’s more akin to what a BBC audience are used too, unlike some American telethons that are more music performance based.

Is it strictly a telethon over here though? Has there been a number/link to donate? If so I must have missed it.

I thought the idea was a load of A listers giving thanks to key workers and then wailing a song out over an often questionable internet connection. And I thought this BBC version was going to be two hours of highlights of that but right now I'm not really sure what this is!
CU
Custard56
Although three presenters seems excessive and a studio surplus to requirements, I'd be willing to bet people would be grumbling too if the BBC simply stitched together 2 hours of edited video highlights, with nothing but voiceover links, complaining it smacks of laziness.
CU
Custard56
I imagine because it’s more akin to what a BBC audience are used too, unlike some American telethons that are more music performance based.

Is it strictly a telethon over here though? Has there been a number/link to donate? If so I must have missed it.

Nope. They explicitly said at the start the point of this broadcast tonight is not for the UK audience to raise money - they told viewers to put their money away.
BF
BFGArmy
Although three presenters seems excessive and a studio surplus to requirements, I'd be willing to bet people would be grumbling too if the BBC simply stitched together 2 hours of edited video highlights, .

I'd like to think people having bigger things to worry about then that (though you do get people complaining whatever broadcasters do).
Far too much of this content feels like it could be aired on the 'Big Night In' slot on Thursday to be honest.
GO
gottago

Far too much of this content feels like it could be aired on the 'Big Night In' slot on Thursday to be honest.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing basically the same sort of thing again on Thursday.

It all kind of feels like a very long, very odd episode of The One Show.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Jon posted:
Didn’t expect to see Dermot, Claudia & Clara in a studio. I thought they’d be presenting it from home.

It does rather go against the whole ethos of the thing.

It does show that a lot of the home presenting we have seen is basically theatre for the TV to show how they are obviously doing things differently, rather than a requirement

If they feel the need to set up a studio production for this, then they could have done for Graham Norton, Football Focus, MOTD etc, but chose not to, as it looks more obvious doing it from home.
CU
Custard56
Jon posted:
Didn’t expect to see Dermot, Claudia & Clara in a studio. I thought they’d be presenting it from home.

It does rather go against the whole ethos of the thing.

It does show that a lot of the home presenting we have seen is basically theatre for the TV to show how they are obviously doing things differently, rather than a requirement

If they feel the need to set up a studio production for this, then they could have done for Graham Norton, Football Focus, MOTD etc, but chose not to, as it looks more obvious doing it from home.

I may be exposing my ignorance here but getting a camera crew in a suitably spacious studio at Television Centre for a 2 hour one-off show is, I assume, more feasible and actually slightly different from committing a camera crew on a weekly basis to film in studios of variable, and probably smaller, sizes at the current time?
BR
Brekkie
Is this the first show from TC1 since the last studio based Saturday Night Takeaway?
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm glad of the UK studio bits, gives it a bit of context and a 'local' angle. Just having a couple of hours of music highlights isn't very BBC1 and isn't really that public service either.

It certainly wouldn't interest me without the studio bits, I've not heard or don't care for most of the singers
Jeffmister, TVArchive and Custard56 gave kudos
MA
Markymark
I'm glad of the UK studio bits, gives it a bit of context and a 'local' angle. Just having a couple of hours of music highlights isn't very BBC1 and isn't really that public service either.

It certainly wouldn't interest me without the studio bits, I've not heard or don't care for most of the singers

It's not really Sunday night BBC1 anyway, all those Antiques Roadshow viewers will have spent about 30 seconds watching before going else where. The target audience will have already or will seek out the original content on line. Be interesting to see what audience figures it gets, and how effective it was as a warm up for Killing Eve (something else many will have already seen)
FA
fanoftv

I thought the idea was a load of A listers giving thanks to key workers and then wailing a song out over an often questionable internet connection. And I thought this BBC version was going to be two hours of highlights of that but right now I'm not really sure what this is!

It’s not a telethon, but the rolling performances last night felt like a telethon.

I certainly agree with Inspector Sands that a couple of hours of performances alone on BBC One wouldn’t feel right.

Newer posts