ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Who knew Simon was now in charge of commissioning for ITV2
:-(
A former member
He certainly seems to have gone off these shows. I think losing Xtra Factor has been a part of the main show’s downturn in the ratings - it plays an important part in allowing viewers to get to know the contestants. Look at how much they do it with Strictly.
BR
Brekkie
Xtra Factor was pulled by ITV2. Wouldn't miss Mors Takent - used to be great in its early days but been too much about Mulhern in recent years.
HC
Hatton Cross
.. Wouldn't miss Mors Takent - used to be great in its early days...

Was that the Norwegian spin off? Very Happy
GO
gottago
Rumours in the Mirror tonight that Simon Cowell has pulled the plug on Britain's Got More Talent and will become online only from next year, rather surprised by the news as the show was doing really well in the overnights hitting around 700k sometimes hitting 1 million and being one of the biggest shows on ITV2. Stephen Mulhern also does an excellent job and I like the laid back feel and getting the crew involved and sometimes is better than the main show, for me it would be a big mistake.

Love the idea that Simon had any involvement in this being pulled. Realistically:

• Stephen wants to move on from ITV2. In For a Penny was a success and he's got Catchphrase and new show Rolling In It, all on ITV. It may be that he or his management felt that continuing with a spin-off show stops him reaching the heady heights of Ant and Dec and the like.
• ITV2 asked for budget cuts (no doubt Stephen's fee has morphed to well beyond the normal price for a spin-off show over 13 years) and the show were unable to deliver on this.
• I expect the show probably skews older now and isn't delivering the ad revenue the channel wants. The show is also much harder to make now as BGT simply attracts fewer auditionees than it used to because it's been going for so many years. I did a series a few years ago and they had to cancel an audition day because they didn't have enough acts to fill it. The last series of BGMT had a lot more acts that had already featured on ITV1 because they didn't have enough that could be ITV2 only.

Entertainment production companies don't just stop making shows because they want to end on a high. They've got targets to hit, they'll take whatever they can get and will try and get it recommissioned for as long as possible. If a show ends it's generally because of the commissioners or the talent.
WH
Whataday Founding member
As I said in the other thread, it's obvious why ITV2 don't want it. They're no longer reliant on ITV(1) spin-offs for viewers and haven't been for a very long time. Axing BGMT will free up a decent sized budget for other shows.
GO
gottago
As I said in the other thread, it's obvious why ITV2 don't want it. They're no longer reliant on ITV(1) spin-offs for viewers and haven't been for a very long time. Axing BGMT will free up a decent sized budget for other shows.

That certainly would have played a part of it though they wouldn't be bringing back I'm a Celeb Extra Camp if it was the only reason. In fact they would have canned the lot of them with Xtra Factor if that was the only reason.
WH
Whataday Founding member

That certainly would have played a part of it though they wouldn't be bringing back I'm a Celeb Extra Camp if it was the only reason. In fact they would have canned the lot of them with Xtra Factor if that was the only reason.

The difference with Extra Camp is that I'm A Celeb does far better in the 18-34 demographic than X Factor or BGT.
GO
gottago

The difference with Extra Camp is that I'm A Celeb does far better in the 18-34 demographic than X Factor or BGT.

I've had a look at my old Overnights emails at a random date for each show's most recent series and I'm a Celeb and BGT both skew reasonably similarly for 16-34s; 1.3m for BGT and 1.7m for IAC. Their spin-off shows got 120k for BGMT and 138k for Extra Camp in the demo so again not a massive difference. Perhaps the consolidated figures changes things.
BR
Brekkie

The main difference though is it is made by ITV rather than bought in.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Also I’m a Celeb is a nightly live show, so leads to having a nightly review show just like BBLB used to do, and like how The Apprentice You’re Fired does.

In part BGMT is a weekly recorded show following a weekly recorded show. A completely different format.

If anything I’d keep the live part of BGMT but bin off the weekly part.
GO
gottago

If anything I’d keep the live part of BGMT but bin off the weekly part.

Although the live shows didn't rate particularly well compared to the pre-recorded ones!

Newer posts