TV Home Forum

ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JE
Jez Founding member
Given the current situation it would make sense to postpone until the autumn and see where we are then.

To be honest it could benefit from being rested this year, its been the same format for a while now. I assume that the X Factor has been quietly axed? There was talk about it coming back for 1 final series but im not sure if that has been confirmed.
Last edited by Jez on 7 January 2021 7:39pm
BR
Brekkie
They say possibly 2022 but are none committal. The longer it's off air the better chance it has IMO.

Similarly agree a year off for BGT would do it no harm at all.
PE
peterh
What to show in the spring then
BR
Brekkie
They've plenty of time - an extra week of Beat the Chasers, Millionaire or The Cube can take the weeknight slots. A bit of reshuffling sorts out Saturday night - a celeb series of one of their quizzes will probably be parachuted in. They've All Star Musicals planned for the Spring - likely planned for Sundays I imagine but could be switched.
JO
Johnr
I was reading an article from Jodie Wilson on Des O'Connor this morning (sadly on the Daily Mail), an interesting piece on how Simon Cowell initially had planned for him to be on Britain's Got Talent as a judge but it never ended up happening as he was considered 'too old' by the producers

When you consider Paul O'Grady was initially pencilled in to host it feels quite strange to think about how that format would have looked compared to the typical Simon Cowell style it actually ended up as!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9128141/In-interview-death-Des-OConnors-widow-reveals-battling-PARKINSONs.html

Quote:

There were professional disappointments along the way too. Who knew that Des was Simon Cowell’s first choice as a judge on Britain’s Got Talent back in the day? ‘Simon took us out for lunch and told us about this new show, and how there was nobody in the business who would be a more perfect judge than Des.

‘He explained about the show and it sounded amazing. Des was excited, and so was I. Then we didn’t hear anything for a couple of weeks. Three weeks later we found out someone high up had told Simon that Des was too old. Simon was too embarrassed to tell us. Afterwards, we saw him at Elton John’s house in Nice at a mutual friend’s birthday party. Simon didn’t know how to be with us. We spoke, but we didn’t say anything about Britain’s Got Talent.
JO
Jon
In a way Paul O’Grady going to Channel 4 might have been a good thing for ITV, had he not a chat show may have remained a fixture in the 5pm slot and Britain’s Got Talent might not have been the massive brand it is today. That said it’s hard believe when The POG Show returned to ITV they’d take The Chase out of the 5pm slot for weeks. I think it just shows The Chase was very much a sleeper hit.
JO
Josh

FYI Extra is on at 3am. Odd choice.
AS
Ash101
Interesting. I wonder what the point is? I’ve often wondered the whole idea behind ITV’s 3-4am schedule as it’s usually just 1 (quite often old, maybe even axed) show between Ideal World & Nightscreen.

Usually with sign language, but never on ITV Hub so? Not sure.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Interesting. I wonder what the point is?

Well either there is some really good research that says there is a massive audience of insomniacs who crave entertainment news in the dead of night, or its original content fulfilling some kind of quota?
BR
Brekkie
Guess it'll be on the Hub or at least pushed out on the socials too. Does seem odd though - surely make more sense as daytime fodder on ITV2.

Talking of Three o'clock - PM rather than AM, but Lingo is actually not that bad a watch and a fairly decent watch, but the trailer for it they're running now is one of the worst I've ever seen. Really doesn't sell it at all.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Johnr posted:
When you consider Paul O'Grady was initially pencilled in to host it feels quite strange to think about how that format would have looked compared to the typical Simon Cowell style it actually ended up as!

There's a clip from the pilot here which shows how it looked:

JO
Jonwo
The pilot for BGT is incredibly cheap looking compared to how it eventually looked.

Newer posts