The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters & Rotas

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Faisal Islam starts his Economics Editor post today.

Custard56 and SuperSajuuk gave kudos
MI
Mintbro
Is there a shortage of Newsreaders for the main BBC1 bulletins, for the past month Sophie Raworth has done most 6pm and 10pm bulletins.
RN
Rolling News
Is there a shortage of Newsreaders for the main BBC1 bulletins, for the past month Sophie Raworth has done most 6pm and 10pm bulletins.

It does all seem a bit up in the air at the moment. George Alagiah I believe has sadly gone back on sick leave to receive further treatment, and Huw Edwards seems to have started his annual jollies a month early. So yes the majority of evening bulletins have been Sophie and Clive Myrie. Reeta Chakrabarti has filled in a few times but seems to appear less nowadays. Fiona Bruce still makes the odd appearance but does less now due to Question Time (I presume). Tina Daheley stood in on the 10 last Friday.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I think I’ve seen Fiona Bruce do the Ten no more than about once since she started Question Time.
YO
yogibarney

Well there’s plenty of newsreaders they can use from News Channel, Breakfast, etc. Maybe Victoria Derbyshire might do a bulletin now and then or shall I duck now to avoid any hypothetical missiles that may come my way?
NE
Newsroom

Well there’s plenty of newsreaders they can use from News Channel, Breakfast, etc. Maybe Victoria Derbyshire might do a bulletin now and then or shall I duck now to avoid any hypothetical missiles that may come my way?

Agreed. Why on earth they don't use Simon McCoy on the 6 and 10 is beyond me. He frequently does the 1, surely it makes sense to get cover for his NC show and use him on the nationals.

From what Jane Hill said when she returned, it's unlikely she'll be racing to do longer shifts. What about Kate Silverton? She's rarely seen at all other than her Saturday shift.

Joanna Golsing and Martin Croxall would be ideal substitutes too.
DV
dvboy
Maybe Simon doesn't want to work late.
Ittr and Lou Scannon gave kudos
RN
Rolling News
Simon wouldn't really suit the Six/Ten in my honest opinion. He is absolutely amazing in his afternoon slot on the News Channel and easily the best, if not one of the best ever, presenters on there. But there's just something about his style which is more suited to daytime, programmes like Breakfast, Afternoon Live and the News at One are more for him. He's great maybe on the weekend and bank holiday late bulletins but wouldn't really suit the main Six and Ten bulletins.
AS
AlexS
Simon wouldn't really suit the Six/Ten in my honest opinion. He is absolutely amazing in his afternoon slot on the News Channel and easily the best, if not one of the best ever, presenters on there. But there's just something about his style which is more suited to daytime, programmes like Breakfast, Afternoon Live and the News at One are more for him. He's great maybe on the weekend and bank holiday late bulletins but wouldn't really suit the main Six and Ten bulletins.

This makes absolutely no sense as the one and the six (and increasingly the ten) are basically the same bulletin.
JF
JF World News
I don't know why they don't use Carrie, Martine, Kasia and both Ben Bland/Thompson to cover the national news over the summer. Then get Alpa / Alice to cover their shifts when they return.
AS
AlexS
JPF posted:
I don't know why they don't use Carrie, Martine, Kasia and both Ben Bland/Thompson to cover the national news over the summer. Then get Alpa / Alice to cover their shifts when they return.

Some of those presenters wouldn't get to the national bulletins if there was a mass outbreak of swine flu that led to 90% of the newsroom being off at the same time unexpectedly.
JW
JamesWorldNews
AlexS posted:
JPF posted:

Some of those presenters wouldn't get to the national bulletins if there was a mass outbreak of swine flu that led to 90% of the newsroom being off at the same time unexpectedly.

Why, Alex?

Newer posts