« Topics
myan392 posts since 7 Mar 2013
Does Gavin Grey speak with an RP accent? When I listen to him, he just sounds to me like one of those BBC presenters from decades ago. Not that many World presenters use that accent anymore I think.
Does Gavin Grey speak with an RP accent? When I listen to him, he just sounds to me like one of those BBC presenters from decades ago. Not that many World presenters use that accent anymore I think.

Yes, he does

Good to know. It's pretty hard to hear an RP-speaking presenter on World today, I'm not sure about News. It seems to me that RP is sort of like something left in the past.

Ali Moore presenting the Singapore section of Newsday. I have seen her before on the BBC but not sure whether this is her first time presenting?

You've probably seen her on the occasional business cross-overs on WBR. We discussed a little last time. She started during the typhoon Haiyan incident I remember, when Rico & Sheranjit were separately deployed to Philippines, with SG studio shorthanded. Then she was mostly doing ABR, with Newsday telecast live between London and Rico/Sheranjit on-location in Philippines. Then there were a few times later she was on Newsday co-presenting with London as well, in addition to ABR. After Sheranjit & Rico's back, she didn't appear very often anymore, only occasionally.
Last edited by myan on 17 March 2014 1:22am - 3 times in total
Maybe a bit late, but Tim Wilcox presented The World Today on Monday, didn't catch yesterday's so I'm not sure if he's still on it. I bet Naga could be off or doing breakfast on NC. Has he been on TWT before? Nevertheless, I think he's pretty versatile so far across the BBC, so probably it's not unusual he could pop up on just any program.
Jaxford251 posts since 6 Dec 2011
Meridian (South) South Today
Maybe a bit late, but Tim Wilcox presented The World Today on Monday, didn't catch yesterday's so I'm not sure if he's still on it. I bet Naga could be off or doing breakfast on NC. Has he been on TWT before? Nevertheless, I think he's pretty versatile so far across the BBC, so probably it's not unusual he could pop up on just any program.

Naga was on the day after. She was presenting Breakfast on Monday. Tim did do well on the TWT and his versatility is very impressive. But what's more impressive was that he presented the BBC News at Five later on in the day. He must have been up for a very long time...
https://twitter.com/#!/jackaxford http://www.bbcnewsfix.moonfruit.co.uk/
House3,168 posts since 13 Mar 2007
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Interesting to see Jo Coburn co-presenting the Budget coverage with Huw Edwards - she's proven a very strong political broadcaster in recent years, but is rarely seen outside of The Daily Politics. I think previous coverage of this kind has always been Huw Edwards (or possibly Andrew Neil) presenting alone, hasn't it?

Also interesting that the analysis appears to just be from Nick Robinson and Robert Peston, as Kamal Ahmed has yet to start. Is Robert handling both the business and economics analysis? Surprised they haven't turned to Huw Pym, considering he's been economics editor in all but name since Stephanie Flanders left. While I appreciate Ahmed only left the Sunday Telegraph a few weeks ago and will presumably have extensive broadcast training before appearing on air (along the likes of Peston, Will Gompertz and David Bond), I would have thought the Budget would be an ideal time to introduce him and firmly move Peston to the economics brief (isn't he still, technically, business editor)?

I wonder too if Huw Pym will be replaced as Chief Economics correspondent when he moves to Health? Perhaps replaced by someone from the business team, like Joe Lynam or Emma Simpson? Having Pym as, effectively, deputy economics editor proved very useful in the Flanders era in the same way that James Landale becoming Robinson's deputy really strengthened their political broadcasting.