The Newsroom

8pm BBC News summary axed

(May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
90 second updates like this (and indeed 60 seconds back in the day) are just exhausting to watch. They're so rushed and crammed in, it becomes a total blur. I don't think viewers take anything away from watching that, if indeed they pay attention.

I don't understand how something as short as 60 seconds can be exhausting to someone. 60 seconds used to have 5 stories in the bulletin, the 90 second update also had 5 in the national segment, 2 in the regional plus a quick regional weather update. There's nothing there to get exhausted over.

Some Indian News channels have bulletins that advertise themselves as having 100 or 200 stories rapid fire, with each 'story' being no more than 10 seconds, and often as little as 6 seconds. Now that truly is exhausting.

60 seconds, 5 stories - nothing to get exhausted over
60 seconds, 6-10 stories - truly exhausting

The pace isn't too dissimilar, if not the length.
CI
cityprod
90 second updates like this (and indeed 60 seconds back in the day) are just exhausting to watch. They're so rushed and crammed in, it becomes a total blur. I don't think viewers take anything away from watching that, if indeed they pay attention.

I don't understand how something as short as 60 seconds can be exhausting to someone. 60 seconds used to have 5 stories in the bulletin, the 90 second update also had 5 in the national segment, 2 in the regional plus a quick regional weather update. There's nothing there to get exhausted over.

Some Indian News channels have bulletins that advertise themselves as having 100 or 200 stories rapid fire, with each 'story' being no more than 10 seconds, and often as little as 6 seconds. Now that truly is exhausting.

60 seconds, 5 stories - nothing to get exhausted over
60 seconds, 6-10 stories - truly exhausting

The pace isn't too dissimilar, if not the length.

I think it's more the combination of pace and length. 100 'stories' in 10 minutes. 200 'stories' in 20 minutes, that's more exhausting than 5 stories in a minute.
JA
JAS84
AlexS posted:
Hardly surprising, has felt like it was being made with no budget and little motivation since Ellie Crisell moved over to South East Today.
So that's what happened to her. I knew she went on maternity leave, and didn't return to the 8pm update afterwards.
VM
VMPhil
JAS84 posted:
AlexS posted:
Hardly surprising, has felt like it was being made with no budget and little motivation since Ellie Crisell moved over to South East Today.
So that's what happened to her. I knew she went on maternity leave, and didn't return to the 8pm update afterwards.

I think they got rid of the dedicated 8pm news summary presenter role altogether to reduce costs.
MI
m_in_m
I wonder if this has any impacts on any regions. For Look East (Norwich) the Wednesday bulletin was presented by Alex Dolan - who I noticed never held a script for backup. No idea if they paid extra for the bulletin or not.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I know on Look North if nobody suitably young was on shift, they would get someone from Radio Leeds to do it, someone who would never appear as a newsreader on TV at any other time.

I’m not quite sure how much cost is going to be saved by axing it, as nobody will have been employed just to make it, and it won’t add up to a full time position.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Not sure age is that big a factor, Phil Bodmer did it often enough.
DE
deejay
It did cause a redistribution of staff and change in hours in some regions though - in some the 1830 director stayed on to do it as it wasn’t technically possible to achieve the CSO and Wipes in the pres gallery. In other regions an editor would need to stay on to cut and treat the pictures. In any case the story selection and writing style was quite different to normal operations, so it did take a decent amount of time to put together from the newsroom side. It will have a knock-on, but should mean more time for the regions to prepare for their late bulletin, which is now longer and more complex than it was when the 8pm summary began.
MA
Markymark
In any case the story selection and writing style was quite different to normal operations, so it did take a decent amount of time to put together from the newsroom side.

Really ?! 30 seconds worth of colloquial copy ! ?

If so, it's no wonder the regions can't cope with 'breaking news' !
PC
p_c_u_k
This does feel like the old problem of some regions being small operations with few big stories to break, some being areas where regional news is of limited value (eg London), and some being actual nations. One size does not fit all, whether it be whether they need half an hour, an integrated national news hour or a 30 second bulletin later in the night.

For me, a post-EastEnders slot for news was the definition of PSB. Politics would mean you couldn't do this, but the ideal solution for me would be a full national bulletin with an opt-out point for nations and regions who want to/have the resources to insert their own output.
BR
Brekkie
Did BBC NI used to do their own bulletins in primetime?
RD
rdd Founding member
I vaguely remember that they did, with a countdown clock and all.

In fact, here’s an example:
Woodpecker and Brekkie gave kudos

Newer posts