The Newsroom

BBC Weather changes preview

Website displaying pages with Meteo data on adapted URL (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVViewer256
What they need to do, is either get rid of the forecast for Jersey...

Oi now...

Quote:
...or stick them in a box in the top right corner somewhere

It's a lot more useful to be able to see the surrounding context. The local report, zoomed right into the islands, is a bit of a joke. Without being able to see what's coming it just sort of flickers from rain to cloud to sun and back again.

We pay our Doctor Who tax same as everyone else. Not our fault we're geographically remote!

Cos I'm sure the 2005-2018 maps didn't always show the Channel Islands. Occasionally, the map would flyover the channel islands as it went on its tour of the UK, but it didn't always flyover Jersey.

I would put Jersey and Shetland/Orkney Isles into 2 separate boxes in the corner, and just put on an old style BBC weather symbol on there to let people know what's going to happen in these area. And let everyone else have a zoomed in map.

Erm - don't forget the legendary islands of Guernsey and Alderny. But yes - there should be a channel islands box
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
Newswatch right now on BBC News - viewers are giving the BBC a right earful about the horrific maps. I'm recording it so I can see what they say later. Looks like it's on for almost the whole show about 10mins!! With POV off air at the moment, this is the ideal place for views to be expressed.
JO
Joe
To be fair though, people *never* like change, especially on the BBC's opinion-of-the-BBC shows. I'd be far more interested in hearing what people are saying in a month's or six month's time when tweaks have been made and more crucially when people are more used to them.

Also, my juicier friend, we get it. You don't like them. 😏
BR
Brekkie
Exactly - the outgoing graphics were pretty much hated when they launched and it took a long time really for that style of forecast to be accepted as the norm.
RK
Rkolsen
Do people complain when ITV or Channel 4 make such changes (aside from programming) or is it just because of the license fee?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Partly the license fee, partly a culture of BBC bashing in certain sections of the press that seem to have a very impressionable readership
JA
james-2001
Partly the license fee, partly a culture of BBC bashing in certain sections of the press that seem to have a very impressionable readership

The same as the EU bashing in the same sections which has led us to the mess we're in now.
WO
Worzel

The same as the EU bashing in the same sections which has led us to the mess we're in now.

I love the way some on here think everyone on TV Forum are left wing EU fanatics!
JA
james-2001
You don't have to be a "left wing EU fanatic" to see brexit is a damaging clusterf**k.

There's plenty of EU supporters on the right anyway. Unless you're telling me Tory MPs like Soubry and Clarke are really "lefties".
Neil__ and tightrope78 gave kudos
IT
Ittr
The CSO weather is definitely worse than before. You can see a white outline of the presenter now, but you couldn't before.
NG
noggin Founding member
The CSO weather is definitely worse than before. You can see a white outline of the presenter now, but you couldn't before.

That's odd - AIUI it's the same equipment doing the keying, only the graphics sources have changed. Maybe the new graphics provide more contrast.
WO
Worzel
You don't have to be a "left wing EU fanatic" to see brexit is a damaging clusterf**k.

There's plenty of EU supporters on the right anyway. Unless you're telling me Tory MPs like Soubry and Clarke are really "lefties".

How about leaving politics to a different forum, such as the Politics thread 'on the other side'. Wink

Newer posts