The Newsroom

BBC News Mandela Coverage

(December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
That is a very important point - did anything important actually happen that was missed by the BBC in the time it didn't talk about the storm on TV?

Likewise, was the Mandela story really developing that fast that they couldn't have taken a few minutes every now and again to cover other stories?

As he said in the piece, comment was coming in from lots of other important people, so it was developing more than the storm story.
HB
HarryB
Clive Myrie now appears LIVE from Soweto in South Africa on the lunchtime news
BA
Bail Moderator
Off topic discussion removed, come on guys we don't want that here really do we.
CI
cityprod
Bail posted:
Off topic discussion removed, come on guys we don't want that here really do we.

Excuse me, but it was on the topic of the frankly unwarranted attack on the BBC's coverage that I was replying.

That is straight up censorship.
DO
dosxuk
That is straight up censorship.

Never assign to conspiracy that which can adequately be explained by cock up.
BA
Bail Moderator
If enough people complain then it gets removed, also I don't care Smile

Feel free to continue discussion about the presentation of the breaking news, but the coverage of should/shouldn't it have been covered you can take elsewhere please, ta!
BR
britbat
That is a very important point - did anything important actually happen that was missed by the BBC in the time it didn't talk about the storm on TV?

Good point and no, it didn't. AFAIK nobody died or was seriously overnight. Because this was flooding from a storm surge the areas to be flooded were easily predicted and relatively limited and everyone who was going to move had been moved (or refused to do so!) hours earlier.

The "coverage" that everyone was craving would quite simply have been journalists speculating over black screens, because you can't film the sea at night. Blanket storm coverage would have been a huge misapplication of resources on any night, but on the night that Nelson Mandela died? Unforgiveable.
Steve Williams and welshkid gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I'm not sure I follow your argument. Those resources had already been deployed and were in use before the Mandela news broke.

I really don't see how spending 10 minutes in each hour giving a summary of the rest of the news would have been inappropriate. Dropping the weather forecasts on a night such as that? That's what is unforgivable.

It's in that kind of situation that the News a multiscreen on the red button would have been really handy, and a ticker message pointing people to it might have placated some of the complaints.
CA
Cando
I really don't see how spending 10 minutes in each hour giving a summary of the rest of the news would have been inappropriate. Dropping the weather forecasts on a night such as that? That's what is unforgivable..

Lmao if you were in those areas I think you would have checked the weather forecast before 10pm at night.
It's in that kind of situation that the News a multiscreen on the red button would have been really handy, and a ticker message pointing people to it might have placated some of the complaints.

You want a ticker to tell you it's raining? Are you forgetting that overnights are a world simulcast. Who do you think would be updating it?
GH
George Hill
Special programme currently coming from South Africa. George Alagiah in the stadium, Jon Sopel anchoring outside and Clivr Myrie on the ground outside the stadium. Memorial supposed to start at 9 but the stadium is still not full so they are doing a lot of time filling!
DV
DVB Cornwall
No disrespect meant by this, but the filling, is approaching Prince George's arrival announcement, already an hour behind the indicative schedule.
GH
George Hill
Also a technical nightmare it appears with very heavy rain and everything thrown together with very little notice.

Newer posts