The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
New Westminster/Central London backdrop with a roof shot and BBC News stripes animating and overlaid in the background.

Certainly better than seeing cranes and the Queen Elizabeth tower scaffolding.

Can't cap it but it was shown at 19:28.
GE
thegeek Founding member

I understood BBC One Scotland (and Wales and NI) normally get the news via England BBC One (every normal weekday all day round) but for Scotland only bulletins that obviously didn't work. They (Scotland) had to join the News Channel instead - I remember one year they had News Channel ticker throughout the BBC One bulletin (in Scotland). Then that was corrected in subsequent years by the News Channel bowing to BBC One (Scotland) and not having any ticker for the 15 minute duration. That was still the arrangement in 2018. But last year (now) there has obviously been some way for BBC One Scotland to get the news, presumably by direct circuit from the studio, despite not being on BBC One elsewhere or on the News Channel.

I'm pretty sure in the TVC days it was possible for the nations to get the N6 output with Astons but without the ticker (after all, it was available to Network), but it wasn't able to be self-selected by the director and needed a bit of routing from SCAR/CCA. Perhaps it just depended on the nous of whoever was on shift that day...
TV
TVNewsviewer
It's Sportsday, but with no caption in the bottom-right of the screen.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Big news day today with the Iran story and the ongoing Australian fires, good job there is a full length BBC News at Ten o’clock...
GA
Gallunach

No idea whether there were subtitles on the Scotland bulletin this time - I didn't think about that.

There was .
MO
Moz
Moz posted:
Here’s a thought:

There was talk about making the screens in Studio E clever glass originally, but they couldn’t get the picture good enough.

How difficult would it be to stick a couple of cameras on the back of each screen and then put the resultant video on the screen so it appeared transparent (apart from the edge). I say two cameras as this may be needed for parallax as the other cameras move. If this makes any sense!

Could this work clever people out there!?

Just seen that they do transparent OLED screens now! They'd be cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsE4VS58eBs
Owen_ploc and JamesTV gave kudos
JA
JAS84
Will we be seeing "Royals in Crisis" graphics today? Another senior royal just stepped down - Harry. And he didn't even consult the Queen or William before making the announcement.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51040751
GE
thegeek Founding member
Notable (perhaps) that the news broke around 1840 - BBC London mentioned it straight away, then had it at the top of their headline recap. I wonder if other regions were as on the ball?

[Edit]
Just had a quick look around some on iPlayer - Scotland did in their closing heads, and Hull even ran a 'breaking' Aston.
Last edited by thegeek on 9 January 2020 6:39am
RK
Rkolsen
I remember reading that the BBC wanted the hoop to act as a ticker for newsroom shots, but have they considered putting LED tiles directly between the glass of the upper floor and the gallery? I’m looking at the grey rectangular spots.

JW
JamesWorldNews
That would actually be quite a neat idea, Ryan. I like it.
RK
Rkolsen
That would actually be quite a neat idea, Ryan. I like it.

I got the idea thinking of the WSVN Newsplex. But if they kept it minimal as a ticker/flipper (ideally sync with the one on screen), maybe some show/topical branding, and maybe a red breaking news look.

Here’s the newsplex where I got the idea where you could see the LED band between floors could do just well on its own:

For branding something like this but seamless.

SS
SuperSajuuk
I think someone accidentally mistook Emma Vardy as Rebecca Vardy in the graphics when her piece from Ireland was introduced by Martine tonight... and it’s Rebekah Vardy for that matter Razz

Newer posts