The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
Yes the news channel have (in the past) had bigger demands on the studio cameras (being able to have 2, 3 or even 4 guests around the table, having double headed presentation, having live studio weather, having correspondents on the catwalks etc). It isn’t so much programming the cameras to get into the right positions to achieve all this, it’s the lighting. A fixed plot can’t achieve the finest lighting for every situation and so the single camera operator also balances the lights and that can involve a lot of tweaks throughout a complicated show. While they’re sitting at the lighting and vision control desk they also ‘rack’ the cameras (adjust the exposure) and adjust the lighting. Plus they can trigger manual camera moves, finely tweak the stored shots etc.

Compare a 1+2 interview in studio C where the director is doing it all to one in E and you can see the difference.
VA
valley
Yes the news channel have (in the past) had bigger demands on the studio cameras (being able to have 2, 3 or even 4 guests around the table, having double headed presentation, having live studio weather, having correspondents on the catwalks etc). It isn’t so much programming the cameras to get into the right positions to achieve all this, it’s the lighting. A fixed plot can’t achieve the finest lighting for every situation and so the single camera operator also balances the lights and that can involve a lot of tweaks throughout a complicated show. While they’re sitting at the lighting and vision control desk they also ‘rack’ the cameras (adjust the exposure) and adjust the lighting. Plus they can trigger manual camera moves, finely tweak the stored shots etc.

Compare a 1+2 interview in studio C where the director is doing it all to one in E and you can see the difference.

Do you have a technical supervisor in either of the galleries? I find it interesting that the camera op would be tasked with doing lighting and racking which elsewhere a TS/TD would do - I suppose the camera ops are trained more as MSOs than dedicated camera crew?
DE
deejay
No technical supervisor (as such) in either gallery no. There is a technical assistant to the director who makes contact with outside sources and checks the running order. Engineering staff who put together sound and vision with technical facilities like clean feeds and talkback four-wires work elsewhere but do so for all studios within NBH and externally.
VA
valley
No technical supervisor (as such) in either gallery no. There is a technical assistant to the director who makes contact with outside sources and checks the running order. Engineering staff who put together sound and vision with technical facilities like clean feeds and talkback four-wires work elsewhere but do so for all studios within NBH and externally.

Ah, thanks. Quite a different way of working to Sky.
RK
Rkolsen
So I was watching last night and was surprised to see an NBC Owned station (KNTV/NBC Bay Area) do a brief explainer about the California wildfires. At first I noticed the graphics on screen as NBC Look N’s weather package and then saw Rob Mayeda being credited on screen. I was surprised due to the CBS news share agreement. I then realized that at times the SF CBS station KPIX on occasions has used anchors to do weather on weekends. So maybe someone wasn’t there.
HB
HarryB
Victoria Derbybshire's first hour began with the lights now working, she mentioned about them not working. Notice the newsroom also in late night colours.

WI
Willz
Victoria Derbybshire's first hour began with the lights now working, she mentioned about them not working. Notice the newsroom also in late night colours.

In my opinion it looks really good!
Universal_r, Ghost and cmthwtv gave kudos
RN
Rolling News

That shot seems to really suit Victoria and further proves how good she would be on Newsnight.
CR
Critique

That shot seems to really suit Victoria and further proves how good she would be on Newsnight.

How on earth does being sat at a desk whilst the newsroom is slightly purple prove that she'd be a good presenter for Newsnight?
JF
JF World News

She has done Newsnight before
RD
RDJ
JO
Joe
Nearly did a joke about how they must be trying her out for the News at Ten, turns out I didn’t need to

Newer posts