The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019

SE
TheSebastian
chris posted:
A full screen video wall with endless possibilities, and BBC Cymru Wales come up with an IKEA Chinese Room divider as a look.

I get that backgrounds need realism and scale for viewers to feel connected, but this? Shocking lack of imagination if that ends on in actual broadcast use.

All those new facilities and lovely building, its like giving a Ferrari to a toddler who's not mastered standing in a play mobile.

We say this time and time again on TV Forum: can we see it on screen please before being so angry and dismissive?

NOBODY IS ANGRY. Don't divine motivation from a post.

It's a humorous observation on style influences, with an added comment based on what many, many people I know have worked on that project from outside of BBC Cymru Wales have expressed - that there are lots of great people, but the management, even for the BBC, is very "unimaginative"
Last edited by TheSebastian on 22 August 2020 2:41pm - 2 times in total
FC
FrancesC
ALV posted:
Is it actually dark right now in Washington? Call me picky but it bugs me that it is darker than the UK background when it is 5 hours behind...

Why is the dark background used in London when the newsroom background is used on the papers which is on after it. Is it just to emphasise it’s coming from London?

I think it’s just a matter of graphic templates - The Papers usually comes from studio E so its Vizrt template (along with other studio E programmes like Dateline London, NC bulletins...) have its background set as the newsroom background. This allows in cases like if they have to decamp to another studio, they can load the graphics template instantly(via the director’s touchscreen panel?) without setting up from scratch.

The Papers did not get a programme name strap for a long time until about 2 months later… The NC/World evening simulcasts are with a World intro and a newsroom background, I guess that’s because they want to make Studio C similar to Studio E
CM
cmthwtv West Country (East) Points West
BBC News Channel is showing a BBC News Special for the Lib Dem leadership debate. Tomorrow morning at 09:30am on BBC One and the BBC News Channel. Hosted by Victoria Derbyshire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000m8nt
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
BBC News Channel is showing a BBC News Special for the Lib Dem leadership debate. Tomorrow morning at 09:30am on BBC One and the BBC News Channel. Hosted by Victoria Derbyshire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000m8nt

Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
NE
News96 Look North (Yorkshire)
Well voting on this contest does close on Wednesday funnily enough.
PE
PurpleEquinox Meridian (South) South Today
I get the feeling that the BBC knew exactly what they were doing when they decided to give lots of regions new sets around 2010. They knew they were moving to NBH, so why not just wait a few years and give them new sets then? It’s not like this branding is disappearing anytime soon, at the moment it has been going for almost 10 years (NBH branding), so when they next decide to change the branding fully with a new set design, it’ll probably be time for the regions to get new sets then too.
Please don’t shout at me.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
I get the feeling that the BBC knew exactly what they were doing when they decided to give lots of regions new sets around 2010. They knew they were moving to NBH, so why not just wait a few years and give them new sets then? It’s not like this branding is disappearing anytime soon, at the moment it has been going for almost 10 years (NBH branding), so when they next decide to change the branding fully with a new set design, it’ll probably be time for the regions to get new sets then too.

Probably because budgets were agreed and, as is the case with most public sector organisations, it's incredibly difficult to get money saved / carried forward or reallocate to a different project.

So if you get money to do something, you generally do it, as you might not get the chance again.
PurpleEquinox and itsrobert gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member Granada North West Today

Probably because budgets were agreed and, as is the case with most public sector organisations, it's incredibly difficult to get money saved / carried forward or reallocate to a different project.

So if you get money to do something, you generally do it, as you might not get the chance again.

This is so true about public sector organisations. Once financial year end is approaching there is usually a mad dash to spend up anything and everything before it gets sucked back into the organisation. If you want money for anything, the start or end of a financial year is the best time to ask. That's often why outsiders think public sector organisations are wasting money on projects but it's very often a case of use it or lose it. It's crazy, I know, but that's how it works. And as you say, if budgets are cut next year, you might not get the opportunity again.
Universal_r and PurpleEquinox gave kudos
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today

This is so true about public sector organisations. Once financial year end is approaching there is usually a mad dash to spend up anything and everything before it gets sucked back into the organisation. If you want money for anything, the start or end of a financial year is the best time to ask. That's often why outsiders think public sector organisations are wasting money on projects but it's very often a case of use it or lose it. It's crazy, I know, but that's how it works. And as you say, if budgets are cut next year, you might not get the opportunity again.

It's not just the public sector, happens in the real world Cool too !
PE
peterrocket Founding member
That's often why outsiders think public sector organisations are wasting money on projects but it's very often a case of use it or lose it. It's crazy, I know, but that's how it works. And as you say, if budgets are cut next year, you might not get the opportunity again.

The best bit is round March, when you get to draw up the wish list to spend the last bits of budget on. As if you don’t use it, you lose it, not just from this year but also a potential lower budget next year.
WO
Worzel Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
That's often why outsiders think public sector organisations are wasting money on projects but it's very often a case of use it or lose it. It's crazy, I know, but that's how it works. And as you say, if budgets are cut next year, you might not get the opportunity again.

The best bit is round March, when you get to draw up the wish list to spend the last bits of budget on. As if you don’t use it, you lose it, not just from this year but also a potential lower budget next year.

Let's hope and pray Look East in Norwich have been keeping some money aside for a rainy day for a new set come the end of the financial year. Laughing
JF
JF World News West Country (East) Points West

Let's hope and pray Look East in Norwich have been keeping some money aside for a rainy day for a new set come the end of the financial year. Laughing

BBC West needs a new set, they don't have barcode screens (I've been in the studio),

Newer posts