The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 2018 Refresh

(June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
Newsroom
I think the use of that particular use of Reith appears weak online. Too small and barely readable.

I am absolutely sure this video has been posted before, but here's a refresher. There are many other elements to Reith I am looking forward to seeing on screen and not the version we are currently seeing on VD and BL.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/gel/articles/introducing-bbc-reith

10 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews
I’m contemplating changing my profile name here to “Dan Walker’s Shirt”.
JO
John
I’m contemplating changing my profile name here to “Dan Walker’s Shirt”.

But you cannot work on Sunday

13 days later

HB
HarryB

Interesting to see a first design for Breakfast's rebrand last year
GM
Gary McEwan
Why they never went with that one, I'll have no idea...
CU
Custard56

I would echo this.

That initial design is infinitely better than what we ended up with. Clueless.
AS
AlexS

I would echo this.

I disagree. Those titles would fit better with a programme such as the briefing which focusses on a global agenda rather than Breakfast which on the whole has a more domestic focus.
DK
DanielK
I think every single version of the Breakfast theme is hidden in that pitch, very nice!

Only change I'd make is, use the existing rings in the globe to wipe to the studio, rather than zoom over the globe. However , GMTV in 2006 pulled the zoom off in reverse, so the idea could work...
HA
harshy Founding member

I would echo this.

It’s what happens when execs made a decision they are not design experts they will just go for whatever floats their boat often then not it’s always the wrong concept which makes it to air Sad
CU
Custard56
AlexS posted:

I would echo this.

I disagree. Those titles would fit better with a programme such as the briefing which focusses on a global agenda rather than Breakfast which on the whole has a more domestic focus.

But it's not as if the globe symbol is a completely alien concept as far as BBC Breakfast title sequences over the years is concerned (e.g. see Breakfast News between 1989-1993, arguably one of the best BBC Breakfast title sequences they've ever had and the virtual reality globe / BBC crest sequence of 1993-1997). And it is suitably bathed in a morning glow. It's completely appropriate.

And overall this initial idea is a lot more dynamic, visually and aesthetically pleasing as a title sequence than what we currently have, which are essentially some stings. As I've said before, they need to make the titles for the 1, 6 and 10 punchier: there was little wrong with the length of Breakfast's TOTH sequences pre-drone stings.

It also complements the set, which still -bizarrely and lazily - retains elements of the disco ball titles.
Last edited by Custard56 on 29 June 2019 11:25am - 2 times in total
NG
noggin Founding member
AlexS posted:

I would echo this.

But it's not as if the globe symbol is a completely alien concept as far as BBC Breakfast title sequences over the years is concerned (e.g. see Breakfast News between 1989-1993, arguably one of the best BBC Breakfast title sequences they've ever had and the virtual reality globe / BBC crest sequence of 1993-1997). And it is suitably bathed in a morning glow. It's completely appropriate.

And overall this initial idea is a lot more dynamic, visually and aesthetically pleasing as a title sequence than what we currently have, which are essentially some stings. As I've said before, they need to make the titles for the 1, 6 and 10 punchier: there was little wrong with the length of Breakfast's TOTH sequences pre-drone stings.

It also complements the set, which still -bizarrely and lazily - retains elements of the disco ball titles.

Though equally valid to remind people that the globe-based 'hard news' Breakfast News era is not seen as a hugely successful one - as it was seen as cold, distancing and inappropriate for a warmer morning show (particularly in the blue cut glass era), and not just because of its colour scheme. (The music was often thought to be pompous and bombastic too - though I know people love it)

That's one reason why that look was ditched earlier than the rest of BBC News output when they moved to TC7 from N2.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Yet, it was probably my favourite era of the programme.

Interestingly, the combined use of desk and sofa gave a good balance, IMO. Starting with the Jeremy and Sophie era.

As much as I appreciate BBC News’ distinctive output and excellent quality journalism across all programmes, including Breakfast, I sometimes struggle to focus when hard news is coming from the red sofa..........people will criticize me for being contradictory and saying that it makes it feel a bit dumbed down.......

Don’t shoot me. Just an opinion.
Ittr, South Today and GMc gave kudos

Newer posts