The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 2018 Refresh

(June 2018)

MO
Moz Wales Today

#skillsforlife
EY
the eye World News
Spent ages doing what to it though? I could do that in PowerPoint?

Sorry but it just reminds me of a 2019 version of TVNZ Breakfasts 2007 orange stuff...

d
RO
roo London London
why are so many people here committed to being sh*tty
MD
mdtauk London London
Bit unfair to be judging the quality of the work, based on a badly compressed Twitter video.
EY
the eye World News
That is the type of graphic someone would have posted in the mock section and been criticised to death for, based on how simple and lacking in anything it is. Why can’t we critique broadcast graphics in the same way?

Heck I made this 12 years ago... that background loop could well be that old too. (Made it in Sony Vegas 6 😂)
d
Brekkie, tweedledum and Mike W gave kudos
MW
Mike W London London
Bit unfair to be judging the quality of the work, based on a badly compressed Twitter video.

I have to agree with the eye on this one, it's nice but it's not stunning or amazing, it's an orange sphere with an orange fractal background, hardly groundbreaking. And there are plenty of old mocks of similar par to this actual design that would be shredded apart on here!
MO
Moz Wales Today

I have to agree with the eye on this one, it's nice but it's not stunning or amazing, it's an orange sphere with an orange fractal background, hardly groundbreaking. And there are plenty of old mocks of similar par to this actual design that would be shredded apart on here!

I think it’s nice, but where does it fit with the rest of the BBC News graphics? Where’s the cat’s cradle and place names?

The horizon was a bit of a stretch from the existing globe, but was at least tied to it a bit with the cat’s cradle, but this has lost all connection. It’s like Breakfast is once again totally separated from the main BBC News brand.

That said, it’s 100 times better than having the main BBC titles merged with a disco ball! It’s the morning, not a time for dancing! Things should be quieter and more subtle in the morning, not more jazzy. I can hardly open my eyes until 10am usually!
#skillsforlife
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Maybe see how the whole package works before getting too excited about one element?
Write that down in your copybook now.
MD
mdtauk London London
I wonder if BBC News proper will be moving to new background loops, and if those may be simpler like the Breakfast one?
CU
Custard56 (previously Jay Lee) London
A minor point but there was another "accidental" use of the Reith double box template on Breakfast earlier this morning when Will Perry was speaking to a boxing journalist in the US at around 8:40am.

Implementing Reith at BBC News has been ridiculously messy and erratic, though I appreciate it's considered to be a complex affair.
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Or a very gradual soft launch, as part of the point of it is that the sans serif version looks similar enough to the existing font to the casual viewer?
Write that down in your copybook now.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Implementing Reith at BBC News has been ridiculously messy and erratic, though I appreciate it's considered to be a complex affair.

It's been made an even more complex affair by the BBC and BBC News than it should have been.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
Lou Scannon and Jay Lee gave kudos

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic