The Newsroom

BBC World News | 30th October 2017 Onwards

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
I kinda disagree that all the programmes need identical music, graphics and,sets. A common, distinctive design thread that ties them all together, I always find more interesting and refreshing from a presentation standpoint. The Lowe theme has been around for a long time. (It was unique and ground breaking for its time, but its been COPIED for years by dozens of other low quality broadcasters, so unfortunately its a victim of its own success and its no longer "special" especially in the global news marketplace.) So i do think its time for something new sadly to set the BBC apart from other broadcasters as something special and different.
With the launch of IMPACT, I do like the idea there uniqueness to the graphics and music but harkening back to the original Lowe theme.
Im not a huge fan of oneness or singularity to every broadcast. Whilst its certainly unifying visually, it hinges on being incredibly boring from a presentation standpoint and potentially drains the life of any channel if you watch it for more than a couple of hours or so, from a presentation standpoint. So well done to the BBC WORLD crew by slightly stepping outside of the constraints that they have been in the last few years. Hopefully they will move further and further away and present something visually fresher and modern, like the whole China Red thing was back in the today. Can BBC News with its signature China Red be presented in a whole new fresh way? Look at the new Scottish NINE. How amazing does that look!?
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 21 February 2019 5:47pm
HA
harshy Founding member
but those cameras and lighting grid must be incredibly old

I agree that the dreadful Thomson TTV1707s that many English regions are still blighted with are not great, but don't see what the age of lighting grids has to do with much.

I don't see people complaining about the current lighting grids in TC1, TC2 or TC3 - nor did they complain about the grids at TLS. They are/were all decades old - and in some cases the lamps were of a similar vintage.

I don't see how the age of lighting support structures has much of an impact on the quality of the lighting (though obviously the original design of the lighting grid can do - but that won't change over time)

Yeah I made a wild assumption there but with Look North in particular some shots look too dark(which I assumed is to do with studio lighting) and some shots look too oversaturated (which I assume is the cameras)
HA
harshy Founding member
I kinda disagree that all the programmes need identical music, graphics and,sets. A common, distinctive design thread that ties them all together, I always find more interesting and refreshing from a presentation standpoint. The Lowe theme has been around for a long time. (It was unique and ground breaking for its time, but its been COPIED for years by dozens of other low quality broadcasters, so unfortunately its a victim of its own success and its no longer "special" especially in the global news marketplace.) So i do think its time for something new sadly to set the BBC apart from other broadcasters as something special and different.
With the launch of IMPACT, I do like the idea there uniqueness to the graphics and music but harkening back to the original Lowe theme.
Im not a huge fan of oneness or singularity to every broadcast. Whilst its certainly unifying visually, it hinges on being incredibly boring from a presentation standpoint and potentially drains the life of any channel if you watch it for more than a couple of hours or so, from a presentation standpoint. So well done to the BBC WORLD crew by slightly stepping outside of the constraints that they have been in the last few years. Hopefully they will move further and further away and present something visually fresher and modern, like the whole China Red thing was back in the today. Can BBC News with its signature China Red be presented in a whole new fresh way? Look at the new Scottish NINE. How amazing does that look!?

Well for BBC World News does take BBC News to new standards of presentation right back to 1999, as the whole branding mechanism is based on the programme but still ties in with the bbc news graphics but by altering the colour scheme, which dosent happen with bbc news channel in the uk at all(I’m not thinking simulcasts here), the domestic news channel really just use the regular bbc news titles add some big text and extra circles, nothing remotely unique and you can’t really test different lighting schemes in Studio E because it would look odd with the real newsroom so that studio is stuck with the regular BBC News colour scheme all day long, it’s very different to BBC World News which for me at least tries things and take BBC News to a new level of presentation standards.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
but those cameras and lighting grid must be incredibly old

I agree that the dreadful Thomson TTV1707s that many English regions are still blighted with are not great, but don't see what the age of lighting grids has to do with much.

I don't see people complaining about the current lighting grids in TC1, TC2 or TC3 - nor did they complain about the grids at TLS. They are/were all decades old - and in some cases the lamps were of a similar vintage.

I don't see how the age of lighting support structures has much of an impact on the quality of the lighting (though obviously the original design of the lighting grid can do - but that won't change over time)

Yeah I made a wild assumption there but with Look North in particular some shots look too dark(which I assumed is to do with studio lighting) and some shots look too oversaturated (which I assume is the cameras)

I suspect that Leeds isn't helped by having a set which is largely backlit (screens now, previously lightboxes), so it's necessary to throw a lot of light on the foreground to get a balanced image with as little light spilling onto the screens as possible.

The size of the studio doesn't help - the sofa is closer to the screens than would be ideal, and the low ceiling means the lighting grid is low so the light is coming from possibly non-optimum angles.

Add the crap cameras to the mix and it's not too surprising that its looks pretty compromised at times.
NG
noggin Founding member
Look at the new Scottish NINE. How amazing does that look!?

I don't know - have any of us seen it on camera yet?
bilky asko, London Lite and Joe gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33

I don't know -

rhe·tor·i·cal ques·tion

noun
noun: rhetorical question; plural noun: rhetorical questions

a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.
"the presentation was characterized by impossibly long sentences and a succession of rhetorical questions" Rolling Eyes
JO
Joe
Give it a rest, please
BA
bilky asko

I don't know -

rhe·tor·i·cal ques·tion

noun
noun: rhetorical question; plural noun: rhetorical questions

a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.
"the presentation was characterized by impossibly long sentences and a succession of rhetorical questions" Rolling Eyes

Not a very good rhetorical question when, as stated, it's not been on screen yet.
London Lite and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
No I wont "Give it rest". I can state my opinion if I like what I've seen so far. From what Ive seen, I think it looks good and thats my opinion and Im well within my rights to say so.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 24 February 2019 3:09am - 2 times in total
JO
Joe
Nope, I’m asking you to do so because you’re being utterly rude and unpleasant.
AS
Asa Admin
Guys, a bit of respect goes both ways. If someone is being unpleasant, highlight it via the RTP. Similarly, sarcastically spelling out “rhetorical” and providing the dictionary definition is just rude and unnecessary.

There’s been a few examples across the site recently of people not being able to debate and critique other posts without resorting to personal attacks. It has to stop.
JO
Joe
Yep, fair enough, I'm sorry.

Newer posts