The Newsroom

The New ITV & BBC Weather Thread

BBC Thunderbolts - Are they Red, White or Blue... or yellow? (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
I'm confused - so the BBC now have a contract with Meteogroup, yet still use Met Office weather warnings? It doesn't make sense to me.

This was announced when the contract changed hands. The BBC agreed to continue to broadcast Met Office weather warnings as a public service, just as they continue to broadcast the Shipping Forecast (which I believe is provided by the Met Office) on Radio.
BB
BBI45
I'm confused - so the BBC now have a contract with Meteogroup, yet still use Met Office weather warnings? It doesn't make sense to me.

This was announced when the contract changed hands. The BBC agreed to continue to broadcast Met Office weather warnings as a public service, just as they continue to broadcast the Shipping Forecast ( which I believe is provided by the Met Office ) on Radio.

You are correct on this. If you listen to the shipping forecast, it always starts by stating that it is 'Issued by the Met Office on behalf of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency'
RD
RDJ
Seems as if the SSE energy sponsorship has ended on the ITV National Weather as of today. We're seeing an 'ITV Weather' sting in the same style as the stings used for the regional news.

I can't think of any time in the past when the National Weather were without sponsorship. I remember in the early days of the Powergen sponsorship it only got a mention on the summary endboard.

Is this the first time the National Weather has been without sponsorship of any kind in its 30 year history?
AN
Andrew Founding member
It wasn’t sponsored yesterday either, there were no stings, it just came on and then finished and went off. I’d assumed it was to give the forecast a bit more time.
AM
AMM
It wasn’t sponsored yesterday either, there were no stings, it just came on and then finished and went off. I’d assumed it was to give the forecast a bit more time.

The ITV Anglia regional weather was the same and had no sponsorship ident, despite it just beginning its new sponsorship deal with Greater Anglia train company. I presumed this was to give the forecasts more time, also, but with all the troubles it’s having with travel cancellations at moment, who knows?
GM
Gary McEwan
We're getting the ITV Weather sting on STV as well. Surprised STV haven't tried to cut that out before it goes to the weather. They keep everything else that's ITV branded off the air up here.
AN
Andrew Founding member
We're getting the ITV Weather sting on STV as well. Surprised STV haven't tried to cut that out before it goes to the weather. They keep everything else that's ITV branded off the air up here.
But not ITV News, and the weather is seen as part of the same package.
RI
Richard
But not ITV News, and the weather is seen as part of the same package.

Haven’t watched the weather via UTV for the last few days but the advertising sting was always replaced with one referring to “SSE Airtricity” (the SSE brand in Ireland) and the “UTV National Weather”. The ITV Weather logo did appear as normal as part of the forecast itself, of course.
DB
dbl
Must admit it does flow better with a Sting between it.
WM
W M
Found out about the Met Office YouTube video forecasts while finding information about the new BBC graphics. Must say they've made a good impression. As professional as ITV and BBC, and get a nice detailed forecast whenever you want it. Quite nice graphics too.

Now no longer have to trail through BBC iPlayer finding the week ahead forecast or ITV news website for the latest weather forecast.
RE
Revitt
RDJ posted:
Seems as if the SSE energy sponsorship has ended on the ITV National Weather as of today. We're seeing an 'ITV Weather' sting in the same style as the stings used for the regional news.

I can't think of any time in the past when the National Weather were without sponsorship. I remember in the early days of the Powergen sponsorship it only got a mention on the summary endboard.

Is this the first time the National Weather has been without sponsorship of any kind in its 30 year history?

It's back today, very strange.

It actually happened twice last year as well after the Manchester and London attacks. Don't understand why, can't see what the connection is between terrorism and SSE.
RK
Rkolsen
RDJ posted:

It's back today, very strange.

It actually happened twice last year as well after the Manchester and London attacks. Don't understand why, can't see what the connection is between terrorism and SSE.

There was severe weather the past few weeks right? It’s possible the weather advertisement contract has a clause in the event of severe storms that cause power outages. Kind of like airlines advertisements being dropped when there’s a crash.
Stuart, DE88 and bilky asko gave kudos

Newer posts