The Newsroom

The New ITV & BBC Weather Thread

BBC Thunderbolts - Are they Red, White or Blue... or yellow?

MI
m_in_m Anglia (East) Look East
https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/905775784350056449 so the met office contract finishes with the BBC on 30th!

but from the way they phrase the rest of the reply apparently Meteogroup don't take over the next day

Yes I read that as contractually ends on 30th but an agreement perhaps has been reached to continue providing servicing to ensure a smooth transition.

Would be interested to know what has caused such a perceived delay.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/905775784350056449 so the met office contract finishes with the BBC on 30th!

Finally Spring is on it's way!
Be nicer and more tolerant to each other. Them's the rules.
DV
DVB Cornwall West Country (West) Spotlight
The Schaf is on Newsnight tonight, and not as a result of some faux-pas of broadcasting fluffery

SP
Spencer Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

but from the way they phrase the rest of the reply apparently Meteogroup don't take over the next day

Yes I read that as contractually ends on 30th but an agreement perhaps has been reached to continue providing servicing to ensure a smooth transition.

Would be interested to know what has caused such a perceived delay.

A two year period before the partnership ends, well-known faces quitting, talk of transition periods and extended deadlines...

This is 'Mexit' isn't it? Wink
IS
Inspector Sands
Projects like this do over run sometimes, it's not ideal but it's one of those things and happens for all sorts of reasons; logistical, technical, administrative. Or just because the deadline was too tight in the first place

The outgoing contractor is usually good enough to extend their services until the new one is ready, they'll get paid for it of course. Pulling the plug and walking away helps no-one

It's not the first contract changeover that the BBC have had which has overrun
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I guess broadcasting is a small industry and burning bridges isn't a clever move. A reputation for being professional in trying circumstances does no harm in pitching for other contracts.

Although I bet the new supplier doesn't do this

Write that down in your copybook now.
Stuart, Spencer and DE88 gave kudos
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
The Schaf is on Newsnight tonight, and not as a result of some faux-pas of broadcasting fluffery

Some might say he's joining in the stupidity of voluntarily standing outside during dangerous conditions, but he's no different to the dozens of other reporters who do the same.

It's only a matter of time before one of them is killed or seriously injured by a piece of flying debris, then
we'll have days and days' worth of mawkish analysis about how such a thing could have occurred
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967
JB
JasonB London London
Can't remember which channel it was but they had a reporter in someone's house yesterday who said "it's too dangerous to go out side" so why are the reporters outside in dangerous hurricane weather?
Have you washed your hands?
EL
elmarko Central Reporting Scotland
It'll be one of the Oklahoma tornado chasers again like Tim Samaras, just you watch. Come April/May those guys' chances of dying goes waaaay up.
:-(
A former member
So I see Meteogroup took over the contract but the bulliten just new as a bit strange.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
So I see Meteogroup took over the contract but the bulliten just new as a bit strange.

Not sure about these new graphics, they're a bit abstract for me.

AG
AxG Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Is that BBC Weather's explanation of a sunset? Very Happy

Newer posts