TV Home Forum

ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RU
russty_russ
Exactly - it's annoying Ant and Dec win every year but it is deserved. Barrymore similarly dominated the award in the 90s.

I'm 99% confident in saying that only Barrymore and Ant + Dec have only ever won the Entertainment Presenter award since its inception in 1995.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Paul O'Grady won it as Lily Savage in 1999. Barrymore won it once more in 2000, and after that, Ant and Dec started scooping them up.
JC
JCB
But then you get someone who only wins because someone was excluded.

You didn’t have this rule in anything else, imagine if it was used in the world of sport.

Apples and oranges! Nobody can win Gold for Usain Bolt but Usain Bolt. Ant & Dec keep winning because they've got a more rabid fanbase than their competitors. Entertainment awards are purely subjective. To win the populist ones like the NTA's you need a rabid fanbase to think you're the best. To win a Bafta you need a panel of industry people to think you're the best. In sport, to win, you actually have to be the best.
FA
fanoftv
The award that Barrymore & O'Grady won was named Entertainment personality, over the years it's now Best presenter, I'd argue that the two are different.

Whilst I'm on my soapbox, I'm not sure that I liked the special recognition award being given to Paul O'Grady and For the love of dogs. It felt like FTLOD was originally intended for the impact award that went to Blue Planet (as it made a bigger impact). I loved the fact that Paul was given the award, but it failed to look at his history of television work from his early days as Lily to present day, surely what the Special Recognition should be about.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I felt Paul deserved congratulations for the work he's done, but as fanoftv says, I assumed the Special Recognition was for celebrating a long, successful career... which Paul has had, but the award seemed to be solely for his work on FTLOD. I wondered if David Jason was being lined up for it when I spotted him in the audience.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I wondered if David Jason was being lined up for it when I spotted him in the audience.

Is it possible to win the Special Recognition award twice?
LL
Larry the Loafer
I wondered if David Jason was being lined up for it when I spotted him in the audience.

Is it possible to win the Special Recognition award twice?

Well sod me, I didn't think he won one. Mind you, Ant and Dec won the Special Recognition award and the seemingly one-off Landmark award, which seem pretty much identical.
RU
russty_russ
Paul O'Grady won it as Lily Savage in 1999. Barrymore won it once more in 2000, and after that, Ant and Dec started scooping them up.

Ah my pesky 1% doubt Smile That same year, Barrymore won the Special Recognition Award. It's interesting looking at https://www.nationaltvawards.com/winners to see that Top Of The Pops won the Best Childrens Progamme in 1995 and 1996.
:-(
A former member
TOTP isn't a kids show??
RU
russty_russ
Indeed in the same way The Simpsons was positioned at number 1 during a Top 100 Childrens programmes on Channel 4 years ago!
BR
Brekkie
TOTP isn't a kids show??

Cue inappropriate Saville joke. Zipper
:-(
A former member
Indeed in the same way The Simpsons was positioned at number 1 during a Top 100 Childrens programmes on Channel 4 years ago!

no2 was the muppets wasn't it? and no3 was Dangermouse which should have gotten that crown.

Newer posts