TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MW
Mike W
Wicko posted:
Or the dancing class Oneness ident that was teased at the start of the year. I dare say they’ll time it for the launch of Strictly.

Yes, what happened to exercise class and swimmers? Have they been cut from our memories?

They haven’t been scrapped, just used sparingly. The local news slide on BBC ONE HD still uses Sea Swimmers, which does lead me to say that it is still part of the rotation.

It’s just that they’re used sparingly, because they have a range of more tasteful Oneness idents to use, and the fact that both Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class were poorly received at the time.

It may not be that it's part of the rotation, it may just be that they created the generic BBC One slide graphic using all of the stuff created back at the start of the refresh.
RE
Rex
Maybe they're just considered to be more appropriate for the winter months - people working off the Christmas calories in Exercise Class, and swimmers braving the chilly sea in the depths of winter? I would guess the sunny, leafy, Allotment Holders might not be seen so much later in the year.

Or maybe given they were the only ones in use for the first month, they thought they'd show them less often to give the newer ones more airtime.

Possibly the latter would suffice. They braved on using Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class for the first two months until more idents were launched. Their use has petered out especially since batch 4 (Cavers and Bhangra) were launched.

But the idea of adapting idents for use during the seasons is sound, too - it considerably fits in with the Oneness theme.
WI
Wicko
There are certainly a lot that are used more than others. Bird Watching is rarely seen now, Mountain Rescuers are used very occasionally. Yet the horrid skater one and wheelchair rugby ones are used pretty much every single day.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Iffy sound on Doctor Foster with similar audio issues to SS:GB earlier this year. This is on the HD channel.
GA
Gallunach
Slight little error just before "21st Century Race for Space" on BBC2 at 9pm as the announcer started to say it was on BBC1 but corrected himself to BBC2 Laughing
DP
D.Page
Slight little error just before "21st Century Race for Space" on BBC2 at 9pm as the announcer started to say it was on BBC1 but corrected himself to BBC2 Laughing

Generally, they are very good in this regard, though. I'm surprised it doesn't happen much more often tbh.

Playout in question:

Last edited by D.Page on 6 September 2017 9:37pm - 3 times in total
paul_hadley and Caly123 gave kudos
TO
tomo359
Iffy sound on Doctor Foster with similar audio issues to SS:GB earlier this year. This is on the HD channel.

I noticed general speech was very quiet yet music and other sounds seems much louder.
I normally have my tv of volume 16, sometimes up to 18, but I had to have it on 20 last night just to hear them all speaking properly, yet had to turn it down a couple of times as bits got very loud.

Is this the same as what you meant or did you notice something else?
LL
London Lite Founding member

I noticed general speech was very quiet yet music and other sounds seems much louder.
I normally have my tv of volume 16, sometimes up to 18, but I had to have it on 20 last night just to hear them all speaking properly, yet had to turn it down a couple of times as bits got very loud.

Is this the same as what you meant or did you notice something else?

Exactly as you mentioned.
DP
D.Page
Wicko posted:
Or the dancing class Oneness ident that was teased at the start of the year. I dare say they’ll time it for the launch of Strictly.

Yes, what happened to exercise class and swimmers? Have they been cut from our memories?

According to Wikipedia, they've been axed but that's not always true...

Wicko posted:

They haven’t been scrapped, just used sparingly. The local news slide on BBC ONE HD still uses Sea Swimmers, which does lead me to say that it is still part of the rotation.

It’s just that they’re used sparingly, because they have a range of more tasteful Oneness idents to use, and the fact that both Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class were poorly received at the time.

It may not be that it's part of the rotation, it may just be that they created the generic BBC One slide graphic using all of the stuff created back at the start of the refresh.

BBC1 Northern Ireland. 05-09-2017, 12.45am.
For the benefit of anyone who has read stuff online that's led them to think Sea Swimmers (amongst others) has been axed.

BO
Bongo
Was good to see the Kites ident and jingle used at 10:35 tonight.
:-(
A former member
it was the NETWORK and it was just after 10.45. It doesn't make any sense.
RE
Rex
it was the NETWORK and it was just after 10.45. It doesn't make any sense.

First time since early January that a circle ident has aired.

Surely it has accidentally aired. I could understand them using Capes back in January into a Panorama documentary (as the first two Oneness idents were deemed unsuitable for use before that programme), but this looks as if it is a mistake.

Newer posts