TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
I believe The Bill went to Yorkshire. Of course none of the other ITV companies had no real say in these shows, you just needed an ITV company back then to get stuff on air.
IS
Inspector Sands
Didn't it, along with some other Thames stuff that lasted after 1992, go to Central in the end or at least get presented to the network by Central?

Yep, a good example is seen at the end of this episode of This is Your Life that Thames put on their YouTube account the other day:
https://youtu.be/5fPqXXD978c
JA
james-2001
Yes before 1998 shows which weren't made by an ITV company still had to be commissioned via one, and their endcap appeared at the end (with a "programme" or "presentation" caption). That stopped the same time the new ITV logo was launched.
RI
Richard
Yes before 1998 shows which weren't made by an ITV company still had to be commissioned via one, and their endcap appeared at the end (with a "programme" or "presentation" caption). That stopped the same time the new ITV logo was launched.

Yes,incidentally the first series of Millionaire had a Carlton endcap after the Celador one.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Wow, I don't know what's worse - stretchyvision, postage-stamp viewing or stretchy-postage-stamp viewing in the case of the 6pm Gladiators airing tonight. I'm just speechless, is nobody monitoring the output?
RE
Rex
Wow, I don't know what's worse - stretchyvision, postage-stamp viewing or stretchy-postage-stamp viewing in the case of the 6pm Gladiators airing tonight. I'm just speechless, is nobody monitoring the output?

Tuned in to Challenge...it doesn't look good. They have been recently experimenting with stretchyvision, and normal 4:3 from observation - guess they need to keep on one consistent aspect ratio for 4:3 output. It's all over the place.

It really does look like something out of a botched PAL game conversion.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Well they've cocked Gladiators up again by airing it stretched but also scaled down so there's a huge border around it. Do they not employ anybody anymore to overlook transmission?
NJ
And what I thought was a one off for Easter Sunday appears not to be the case - Sunday now appears to be Chase day or what will probably get dubbed a Sunday stack. 12 straight hours of it next Sunday. Talk about lack of variety.
CN
CNash
No black border that I can see on the second episode of tonight ('95 heat 3)?

And say what you will about those Viakal sponsorship spots, but they seem to be effective... I'm off to clean the kitchen! Smile

13 days later

NJ
Series 9 of Strike It Lucky and the tuxedo for Barrymore died with Thames' place on the network by the looks of it. Increase in the jackpot to £5k as well.

I always thought it was quite nice how they adapt the bottom row for wheelchairs when needed. You quite often don't see many multi-tier gameshow sets these days as the trend appears to have been to make them level and more accessible on those shows where you have to move around.

(edit) - three episodes of SIL scheduled next week for whatever reason.
GM
Gary McEwan
Series 9 of Strike It Lucky and the tuxedo for Barrymore died with Thames' place on the network by the looks of it. Increase in the jackpot to £5k as well.

I always thought it was quite nice how they adapt the bottom row for wheelchairs when needed. You quite often don't see many multi-tier gameshow sets these days as the trend appears to have been to make them level and more accessible on those shows where you have to move around.

(edit) - three episodes of SIL scheduled next week for whatever reason.

Pretty sure that was when the IBA limits on prizes was dropped. Think most gameshows went up to 5K then.
NJ
Pretty much went full circle then - no limits back in the 1950s, and a cap that only came about because of the Twenty One scandal. Apparently revised in the 1980s and then dropped entirely in the 1990s. Not uncommon now for daytime shows to give away £10k at the drop of a hat, and peak time, well six figure sums are easily possible.

Amazing to think, like a lot of archive TV looked at from a modern viewpoint, there was a time where you went on a TV gameshow for the experience and if you come out with some white goods and a few hundred £'s, all the better. But it wasn't going to change your life. I suppose New Faces and Opportunity Knocks and those sorts of shows were the exception but they weren't as a whole open to every Tom, Dick and Harry like BGT.

Newer posts