TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
The Crystal Maze returns to Challenge on Monday 8th April at 6pm after a lengthy absence. A sign of new programmes/schedules to come?

Not really, it tends to live in the 6pm slot weekdays when it is on air and is sprinkled on occasion on a weekend too. I can't remember the last time I saw it outside of 6pm on a weekday.
JK
JKDerry UTV Newsline
Challenge as a whole prides itself on being an archive of popular game shows. But there are so many of them that it's important they strike a balance between "showing new content that may be popular" and "rehashing the same old content over and over again". While I'm sure many of us would love to just watch Price is Right, Play your Cards Right, Knightmare, Millionaire and Bullseye for weeks on end, I'm sure many would like to see a refresh of content every so often to keep the channel fresh for others.

I would really like to see some game shows on Challenge though. Things like Winning Lines and Test the Nation were pretty good shows, but I can appreciate that for Winning Lines they would have to show a very heavily edited version which doesn't include the Lottery draws, and Test the Nation probably is lost to history.

How do they decide on what game show to chose, and where do they go to get the rights to air them?
NJ
Challenge as a whole prides itself on being an archive of popular game shows. But there are so many of them that it's important they strike a balance between "showing new content that may be popular" and "rehashing the same old content over and over again". While I'm sure many of us would love to just watch Price is Right, Play your Cards Right, Knightmare, Millionaire and Bullseye for weeks on end, I'm sure many would like to see a refresh of content every so often to keep the channel fresh for others.

I would really like to see some game shows on Challenge though. Things like Winning Lines and Test the Nation were pretty good shows, but I can appreciate that for Winning Lines they would have to show a very heavily edited version which doesn't include the Lottery draws, and Test the Nation probably is lost to history.

How do they decide on what game show to chose, and where do they go to get the rights to air them?

Like all commercial operators the decision is made primarily to attract the most number of viewers in any particular hour for the purposes of commercial viewership. The more people watching, the more money Challenge get, simple as that. Programmes are only effectively bookends to the adverts to an extent, you sitting there watching The Chase doesn't in itself generate Challenge any money, that comes when the ads actually air and when the viewing figures come in later.

As to where they go, most of the time its the original producers of the show. For programmes that were made by the BBC, they go to the BBC. For ITV stuff made by the former ITV companies (like Bullseye for example which was made by Central) that's in the hands of ITV Studios as a rule (with exceptions) and the independent material (like Millionaire for example which was made by Celador) you usually go to them.

Programmes that were originally made for Channel 4 (and to a later extent Channel 5) follow much the same pattern; because these TV networks were deliberately set up to be publisher broadcasters (ie they don't make anything themselves but commission other people to make things) the rights can vary, sometimes Channel 4 owns the distribution rights, other times the original production company. (likewise independent productions on ITV and the BBC sometimes fall foul of this). In the case of Crystal Maze which was made by Chatsworth TV, that company closed in 2006 when Malcolm Heyworth retired and the programme rights moved elsewhere. It's tooted that Challenge have spent more on the Maze since 1998 than Channel 4 ever did.
SuperSajuuk and Gary Baldy gave kudos
FA
fanoftv Central (West) Midlands Today
Could that be the reason that they used to make cheaper shows themselves, defectors, TV Scrabble, etc. In the early 00s to plug the gap in schedules and reduce the cost that they had to pay out for rights? I suppose prize time was an even simpler way of doing this too.
NJ
Possibly but IIRC weren't most of those indies? TV Scrabble definitely was, wasn't it the same people who made that Test The Nation show mentioned on the previous page? Prize Time was just effectively in-vision continuity in new packaging wrapped around the programmes, I wouldn't say it was a "programme" as such.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Have Challenge shown any of the revival episodes of Crystal Maze?

Speaking of which is it still in production?
Juicy Joe and Gary Baldy gave kudos
FA
fanoftv Central (West) Midlands Today
Prize Time was just effectively in-vision continuity in new packaging wrapped around the programmes, I wouldn't say it was a "programme" as such.

My point is it could have kept the cost down on the rights to programmes by bulking out the schedule, therefore requiring less programmes in the evening.

TV seemed much better back then (he says with his rose tinted glasses on)!
GB
Gary Baldy Granada North West Today
Any further news on the new/old shows that are going to be shown on Challenge? Nothing on their Facebook page yet. I assume they would more than likely launch with a brand new retro look so viewers would forget about The Chase/Pointless era which has been prevalent for the last 4 or so years.

I would be very surprised if Pointless and The Chase actually disappeared from the channel or even be pruned back in the near future regardless of whether they rebrand or not. The last "retro" look they had didn't last too long.

They definitely won't be getting rid of The Chase any time soon, as it's one of their highest rated programmes.

In the most recent BARB viewing figures, an episode of the Celebrity Chase was their top rated programme, with 7 other episodes appearing in the top 15, so over half of their top rated programmes that week were The Chase.

Pointless doesn't appear at all though (in that week at least, and didn't see it in any of the other weeks I looked at). 5 of the other programmes that week were Millionaire, and the other 2 were Bullseye.

How do I see BARB data beyond September last year?
:-(
A former member
With this: https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/weekly-top-10/
HA
harshy Founding member
Challenge just show the same shows over and over and over again there’s so many quality gameshows in the archive some of it is far too recent as well, Sky have ruined Challenge including the picture quality.
:-(
A former member
Short memories? When it was under Virgin it was just as bad. you can huff and puff but some shows just didn't rate. Bobs full house there put it all over the place and it just never worked.
Brekkie and Gary Baldy gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
Short memories? When it was under Virgin it was just as bad. you can huff and puff but some shows just didn't rate. Bobs full house there put it all over the place and it just never worked.

Don’t challenge just get a dividend from the sky subscription they shouldn’t need to chase ratings.

Newer posts