TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
Tv2333
I've seen listings on the EPG where the show is called something like "The Chase: Dark Destroyer". I don't see what it really achieves, and I wouldn't be wholly surprised if the Chaser on said episode was someone other than Shaun.

This is because hasn't changed the EPG data from a marathon run of his shows.
BR
Brekkie
They do nights (or weeks) with individual chasers and it's understandable why that might appeal to fans of individual chasers, though I suspect most fans of one chaser are fans of the show in general anyway.
TV
iloveTV1
Any reason why they’re airing All Star Family Fortunes in 4:3 picture and not 16:9? It’s from 2014, and I’ve found the episode on YouTube and it’s in 16:9.

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Well I just flipped over and I can see it in 16:9...?
KE
kernow
I've never been able to understand the edits with All Star Family Fortunes on Challenge.

They seem to have made edits before and after almost every break (some of which are quite bad), for no apparent reason, just to cut out a few seconds.

It's not even necessary to make edits to remove the competition, as when they were originally produced they made a 2nd edit which didn't contain the competition (for repeats).
TI
TIGHazard

What service do you use to watch Challenge?
NJ

Freeview.
TV
iloveTV1

Freeview.

I was using Freeview as well, it was in 4:3 for me.

I was watching Catchphrase earlier and I noticed two things:

1) At the start they had a montage of previous winners, don’t challenge usually cut out things like that?
2) After the break, they had the dodgiest cut I’ve ever seen, ‘welcome back to [abrupt cut] Player 2 is on [their score]’.
NJ
If you're using Freeview on an external (ie not built into a TV) box (SCART) I have noticed on occasion the aspect ratio does not always switch on the TV. You may have to tune in and out again to reset it. I had a box years ago that often didn't switch on any channel, or when it did came back in some weird aspect ratio/mess that didn't resemble anything. It was always fun for recording purposes (back in the days when you recorded Freeview through a VHS player).

Re: the other points, I presume you mean competition winner montages? They've left those in before, they quite often do. You can learn that Sarah from Barnsley won "last week's competition", although I don't think she really cares 20 years later Smile Re: cuts - that's a trend unfortunately. Modern programming doesn't do "end of part one", or "welcome back to part two" or even "see you after the break" (as apparently the norm today is to say "back in a tick" or some other phrase that doesn't imply there are adverts upcoming). Quite why Challenge insist on doing this I really don't know. Why does Challenge do anything?
TI
TIGHazard

Freeview.

Hmmm. The reason I ask is because there's occasionally a weird glitch with Challenge on Virgin where for some people, it crops 4:3 content to 16:9 centre cut, and puts 16:9 content in 4:3. Challenge + 1 isn't affected, and it doesn't even affect everyone watching, it seems to be down to both the cable area and the individual box you're using, as some people have reported it only affecting one TV in their house, when they have multi room service (and both devices set to the exact same settings)

Here's an image of the glitch in action, as you can see, it cuts the Challenge DOG in half and any graphics on the bottom of the screen too.

NJ
How have you got a Challenge+1? That closed last year on all platforms?

Unless you're looking at recordings? It was discussed a while back that when a channel closes on Virgin there's a tag/marker floating around that allows the content to play, which drops off after a while.
TI
TIGHazard
How have you got a Challenge+1? That closed last year on all platforms?

Unless you're looking at recordings? It was discussed a while back that when a channel closes on Virgin there's a tag/marker floating around that allows the content to play, which drops off after a while.

Shows you how long it's actually been since I watched Challenge live then. What I should say is that +1 wasn't affected at the time. I've found forum posts going to back to 2018 about the issue.

Newer posts