TV Home Forum

David Bowie

(January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
[quote="London Lite" pid="989893"]
I thought the 'BBC News' tribute as presented by Jeremy Vine demonstrated how the BBC misses an identifiable television music presenter these days. In the past these types of programmes would have fallen under the direction of the likes of Whistle Test, Later.... or even TOTP. Although a perfectly enjoyable programme it was a bit of an awkward mixture of news and Radio 6.

Yes it was. I was expecting Stuart Maconie and/or Mark Radcliffe, but Jeremy Vine did a good job.

Mark Radcliffe voiced the obituary which went out on Breakfast at 7.05 yesterday morning. The 6 Music tribute he did seemed like it was a good way to bookend the Bowie-thon they'd been running with all morning and try to get back to a bit of a more normal show afterwards.
MA
Markymark
[quote="thegeek" pid="989947"]

Yes it was. I was expecting Stuart Maconie and/or Mark Radcliffe, but Jeremy Vine did a good job.

Mark Radcliffe voiced the obituary which went out on Breakfast at 7.05 yesterday morning.

That's interesting, because Sara Cox didn't break the news on Radio 2 until 07:18. Although a couple of mins earlier she was distracted (by her own admission), she introduced an 'as live' recording of the weather saying 'Hello Carol' when it was Matt Taylor !
CI
cityprod
One has to wonder what going to happen when The queen passes away, If this is what bowie is getting.

From someone that's worked in radio for most of my I life I shall tell you why.

He had over 20 UK top 10 hits, spanning nearly 3 decades. He is one of the few artists who was able to re-invent his music 'brand' and image over those decades, not just from the Ziggy Stardust era. Not many artists have done that, I can only think of a few exceptions such as Frank Sinatra or Madonna. He's one of the UK's biggest pop exports with his music popular worldwide, especially in Canada. His music and style has influenced a large section of today's music and artists. He's also one of the most popular and familiar artists played on British radio, even today.

It's quite right that his achievements should be showcased and comparing it to 'what would happen if the Queen died' is a bit ridiculous as they are completely different scenarios.

That has given me a crash course in his excellent career, at least you weren't rude.

I wonder if anyone will admit to this gem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQdBxVjZx4

I shall drink to his crowning career.

Believe it or not, that particular track was the most requested track on my radio show yesterday. And it got played.
IS
Inspector Sands

I wonder if anyone will admit to this gem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQdBxVjZx4

I shall drink to his crowning career.

Believe it or not, that particular track was the most requested track on my radio show yesterday. And it got played.

Both your listeners asked for it? Very Happy

I think Bowie really wanted everyone to forget about Laughing Gnome, though I'm sure most people think it's Anthony Newley anyway
IS
Inspector Sands

Mark Radcliffe voiced the obituary which went out on Breakfast at 7.05 yesterday morning.

That's interesting, because Sara Cox didn't break the news on Radio 2 until 07:18. Although a couple of mins earlier she was distracted (by her own admission), she introduced an 'as live' recording of the weather saying 'Hello Carol' when it was Matt Taylor !

I listened back to how the news was broken on the radio yesterday and 6 Music didn't announce it until about 7:10. On there Sean made a mention that he hadn't spoken since the beginning of the programme because they were double checking the news

Being 6 Music of course they didn't play any of his big hits but a song from his 2013 album. That's why it's such a great station
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 12 January 2016 2:33pm
welshkid and thegeek gave kudos
MA
madmusician
Well, you've had a TVF member have his 24 hours of fame as result of this. I even had a live interview on the ITV Lunchtime News... As a massive media geek, it has all been tremendous fun!

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-12/church-organists-david-bowie-tribute-moves-internet-to-tears/
VMPhil, Critique and London Lite gave kudos
NB
nbafan89
Well, you've had a TVF member have his 24 hours of fame as result of this. I even had a live interview on the ITV Lunchtime News... As a massive media geek, it has all been tremendous fun!

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-12/church-organists-david-bowie-tribute-moves-internet-to-tears/

congratulations my friend and did you record it yourself as well?
NB
nbafan89
also did anybody here record the bowie stuff as I missed it?
VM
VMPhil
also did anybody here record the bowie stuff as I missed it?

The BBC stuff is all on the iPlayer I presume? I recorded the Channel 4 programme if anyone wants it, standard definition only
NB
nbafan89
are you on facebook vmphil by any chance?
GE
thegeek Founding member

I listened back to how the news was broken on the radio yesterday and 6 Music didn't announce it until about 7:10. On there Sean made a mention that he hadn't spoken since the beginning of the programme because they were double checking the news

Being 6 Music of course they didn't play any of his big hits but a song from his 2013 album. That's why it's such a great station

I'd switched on at about 7.05 and thought the trail between the first and second songs was a bit unusual - normally there's a bit of a rambling link there.

6 Music's first play of Heroes of the day was the German version - another reason they're great.
VM
VMPhil
are you on facebook vmphil by any chance?

Can you not send me a PM on here? (On my phone at the moment so can't send it to you yet)

Newer posts