TV Home Forum

BBC: Christmas presentation

Split from BBC One (November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PE
Pete Founding member
Don't think I'll get in trouble to say that BBC2 are using the same ones as last year (which I love)

The only issue I have with the BBC2 idents is the music reaches its most insane just as it fades out, I'd love it to go on a bit longer. I've never tired of them no matter how many times I've seen them, particularly the snowman one Smile
Last edited by Pete on 17 November 2013 3:59pm
BA
bilky asko
Jon posted:
Completely agree Duncan - and would like them held back until a reasonable date too - with Christmas on the Wednesday this year the Friday or Saturday before would be fine, but I suspect they'll air at least a week before that, if not two.

Don't they usually start in early December these days? Anyway, they might as well put their decorations up when most the country do which is in early December.

We've already got the Christmas lights in town here - the tinsel's up in Heron too. I think the former is down to the fact they're controlled by the street lights and it's easier for them to put them up early.

In any case, I think the retailers are pushing Christmas forward a bit this year noticeably.
JO
Jonny
The whole BBC Two package is magnificent and was clearly intended for repeated use, presumably until the next rebrand, which can't be far off...yeh. It's a shame they couldn't add a new variation each year but whatever, there are four of them and they are extremely good and feel far more 'BBC2' than the year round stuff.

Thanks for the information!
WI
Wicko
I'm not on duty this Christmas (doing New Years Eve night/Day). Don't think I'll get in trouble to say that BBC2 are using the same ones as last year (which I love) and although I don't think I can reveal the date, it will be sooner rather than later. As Jon says, as you put the decorations up. I'll ask my colleague if I'm able to share the actual date and get back to you

Shame you're not working this Christmas Duncan. You really cheer me up with your ad-hoc style. I am suggesting that 7th December will be the ident reveal date! Your silence on this could actually confirm it! I like BBC2's too but it's a shame they don't make a new one each year like in the old days!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Wicko posted:
Your silence on this could actually confirm it!

I don't think that putting our valued "insiders" in that kind of position is helpful - I would take any silence as being that Duncan either can't tell us or doesn't want to spoil the surprise.
DP
D.Page
Wicko posted:
I'm not on duty this Christmas (doing New Years Eve night/Day). Don't think I'll get in trouble to say that BBC2 are using the same ones as last year (which I love) and although I don't think I can reveal the date, it will be sooner rather than later. As Jon says, as you put the decorations up. I'll ask my colleague if I'm able to share the actual date and get back to you

I am suggesting that 7th December will be the ident reveal date!

That would be my guess as well Wink
WI
Wicko
Wicko posted:
Your silence on this could actually confirm it!

I don't think that putting our valued "insiders" in that kind of position is helpful - I would take any silence as being that Duncan either can't tell us or doesn't want to spoil the surprise.

I was only attempting a bit of humour. I don't put anyone in awkward situations. If Duncan can tell he will, if he can't he won't. He could say it is the 7th just to shut me up even if iut isn't or he could say it isn't even if it was. It doesn't matter. I like Duncan on the telly and he has already given us far more info than any BBC employee has! For that I am grateful.
PC
Paul Clark
I'll throw my hat in and go for the 7th, as well... What's that? "Too early"? Surely not...

To pick a quote from 2009:

Asa posted:
Every year I think they couldn't go any earlier, and they go and do it. I expect a feast of Christmas programming to kick off that Saturday night then? Yeah, thought not.

And that was back when the 1st TX was the 12th!

Though, that was a good year for the main symbol (Doctor Who sleigh & reindeer)... Saw that go out on telly - as it should be - and really quite liked it. One of the better Christmas looks of recent, IMO. If this year's is going to run for most of the month, fingers crossed it's both a lovely festive concept and something that won't wear out or grate too quickly.
DP
D.Page
Yes, I also liked the Doctor Who Christmas 2009 ident. One other aspect I also particularly liked that year (which I don't think BBC1 always gets right every Christmas) is the serious 'news' version. The soundtrack was spot-on for leading into news bulletins and other serious programming. Sometimes, the serious versions are a little too upbeat for me, considering what they are intended to be used for. I accept it is a difficult balance to strike, as on the one hand, it is the festive season, but on the other hand, news is still a serious business, even at Christmas time.
CY
cylon6
The 2009 ident was excellent. Just a shame they didn't do it with Father Christmas. Agree completely about the serious version. One thing that really irritates me about the Christmas idents most years is that the ones leading into the news are still too jolly. Kids bouncing on Christmas puddings leading into the news about a tsunami was a very low point.

I also wish they would keep a circle around 'BBC One' as it just looks ordinary without it.
Last edited by cylon6 on 21 November 2013 1:15am
DK
DanielK
I'd just use the generic BBC One ident and replace the white circle outlines with glittery sparkles.
TW
tweedledum
They could maybe have some christmas themed footage behind and a bauble as the circle bit maybe?

Or the camera slowly moving up the tree and it gets to a bauble with BBC One on it

Newer posts