Paralympic Closing Ceremony

(September 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
David
Seb Coe is like a young DVB Cornwall.
SN
The SNT Three
the closing montage is 1000x better than that of the BBC's Olympics coverage and I'd put it 95% down to the fact that the music was upbeat.... great stuff. Now it's all over!
JO
Jon
David posted:

In terms of looks?
DA
David
Jon posted:
David posted:

In terms of looks?

In a way, yes. If DVB Cornwall didn't dye his hair grey, they could be twins.
DV
DVB Cornwall
This fandom is so un-deserved.

Goodnight TVF.
BR
Brekkie
Fantastic stuff tonight - easily the best ceremony since the Olympic Opening, and pretty much on a par with it. A great set by Coldplay providing a great soundtrack to the post-apocolyptic Mad Max stuff going on around them and it just all felt much more considered than the hit and miss soundtrack of the Olympic closing ceremony.

C4 got it right tonight too - letting Ade and Claire lead the broadcast, relegating Jon Snow to effectively an OB role and crucially being in the stadium in the countdown and at the end. Krishnan isn't too bad a commentator either - very much matter of fact rather than stamping his opinion all over it, while Jeff Adams has been an asset to the C4 team over the last week.

Good to see they opted to delay parts of the ceremony during the ads rather than omit them too - the right call IMO and to be fair the couple of breaks they took were very short. It is surprising though that the Olympic ceremonies in particular don't schedule points into the programme where commercial broadcasters can take breaks in the way that Eurovision has for many years.

All in all I think C4 have done a pretty good job for what is the first major multi-sport event not covered by the BBC - and I do hope this is the beginning of their association with the Paralympics and not the end, though I suspect it might be a couple of years before we find out who has won the rights for Rio.
CA
Cando
C4 around 30-35 seconds behind OBS' feed

Edit: And now they'll be 2-3 minutes behind for the flame being extingushed. That's not good at all.

Hadn't realised they were going to that. I knew some of the tweets were a bit odd. Now I know why.
PT
Put The Telly On
It's certainly been one amazing Summer and despite perhaps a few minor technical hitches, I think the broadcasters have overall done a smashing job to be honest.
IS
Inspector Sands
C4 around 30-35 seconds behind OBS' feed

Edit: And now they'll be 2-3 minutes behind for the flame being extingushed. That's not good at all.

Why's that a problem? The average viewer won't notice (I didn't)

Incidently, apparently the fireworks on the Thames happened about 10-15 minutes before they appeared on TV
HA
harshy Founding member
Well impressed with both BBCs and Channel4s coverage of both Games, OBS did a great job too it had some nice world feed music and titles, I think it was just one event where OBS didn't provide enough info on one of the cycling events early on.
AD
adamiow
All in all I think C4 have done a pretty good job for what is the first major multi-sport event not covered by the BBC - and I do hope this is the beginning of their association with the Paralympics and not the end, though I suspect it might be a couple of years before we find out who has won the rights for Rio.

BBC have already announced they have the rights for 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020 games, so it may not be too long before the rights are announced.
DV
DVB Cornwall
.... totally different process, rights sold on a games by games basis, by the organising committee for the Paras, unlike the IOC centrally offerring with the Olympics.

Newer posts